Sites with multiple datasets listed
- NBII Bird Conservation Node– http://www.birdpop.org/nbii/nbiihome.asp Projects supported by the Bird Conservation Node, mapping applications.
- Avian Knowledge Network – feeds numerous large-scale bird distribution data into the Global Biodiversity Information Facility. (Cornell Lab of Ornithology & partners) http://www.avianknowledge.net/
- Migratory Bird Data Center– Migratory and non-migratory game bird surveys, including<http://mbdcapps.fws.gov/
Birds by season, by habitat group, by survey method:
- North American Breeding Bird Survey – landbird trends, with options to compare regional or state trends to national trends. http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs
- Christmas Bird Count Database – longest running survey on the continent; North American bird distribution in wintertime. http://www.audubon.org
- Waterbird Monitoring Database – Results collated from published surveys conducted after 1970 of colonial waterbirds breeding in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean basin. (USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center). http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/cwb/database/
- Bird Point Count Database – Primarily state and refuge-based landbird monitoring programs. http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/point/
- Secretive Marshbird Surveys – An add-on to the Point Count Database, for refuges (and possibly others after that) conducting Courtney Conway's secretive Marshbird playback protocol.http://www.fws.gov/birds/waterbirds/monitoring/marshmonitoring.html
- PRISM: Program for Regional and International Shorebird Monitoring Database – Coordination and integration of shorebird monitoring datasets under the Program for Regional and International Shorebird Monitoring (PRISM). (Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences, Canadian Wildlife Service, Bird Studies Canada, PRBO Conservation Science, Lower Mississippi Valley Joint Venture, USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center). In progress – watch http://www.manomet.org/
- eBird: enter and manage your own bird checklists. Allows birders to manage their own sightings and contribute them, and allows searching those of others. Extensive visualization tools. http://ebird.org/content/ In addition, eBird supports a number of 'portals', or state / regional partnership with tailored content, such as Vermont eBird: http://ebird.org/VINS/
- Breeding Bird Atlas Explorer and related tools – Searchable data from ~28 Breeding Bird Atlases in North America. Data are used to assess the status of breeding populations of non-game birds at the state level. (USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center).
- Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship (MAPS) In U.S. and Canada, estimates productivity and survivorship of 60+ landbird species. Data are used to model causes of population change. (The Institute for Bird Populations). http://www.birdpop.org/nbii/nbiihome.asp
Secondary datasets, or visualization tools using data mentioned above.
- Digital Distribution Maps of the Birds of the Western Hemisphere – Distribution maps of bird species in the Americas, used as a basis for geographical analyses. (NatureServe). http://www.natureserve.org/conservation-tools/data-maps-tools/digital-distribution-maps-birds-western-hemisphere
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Migratory Bird Data Center provides links to all of the following databases.
- Waterfowl Breeding Population and Habitat Survey Database – How the FWS sets sustainable harvest limits.
- Mid-Winter Waterfowl Survey Database - U.S. waterfowl populations in the winter.
- Mexican Mid-winter Waterfowl Survey Database – Conducted in Mexico since 1947 to assess distribution and abundance of wintering waterfowl.
- Atlantic Flyway Breeding Waterfowl Survey Database – Survey conducted in 11 northeast states to supplement waterfowl surveys conducted by USFWS.
- Waterfowl Production and Habitat Survey Database – U.S. and Canada; measures of duck production from mid-continent breeding areas.
- Atlantic Flyway Sea Duck Survey Database – Atlantic coast from Nova Scotia to Florida; assess trends in sea duck populations.
- Mourning Dove Call-Count Survey Database – Estimates US mourning dove population abundance and annual changes in breeding populations. Data are used to establish mourning dove harvest regulations.
- Woodcock Singing Ground Survey Database –U.S. and Canada estimates or woodcock abundance and population trends. Data are used to establish woodcock harvest regulations.
Finding information on monitoring projects & data availability
- Bird Monitoring Data Exchange Schema – A common language to facilitate data interconnectivity and on-line transfer among distributed databases. The Bird Monitoring Data Exchange Schema is based on the Darwin Core standard. (Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Bird Studies Canada, Canadian Information System for the Environment, PRBO Conservation Sciences).
- Bird Monitoring Data Registry – Metadata registry for bird monitoring datasets in North America. Once completed, this registry will allow users to identify and access existing bird monitoring datasets and their programs. (Cornell Lab of Ornithology). http://www.avianknowledge.net/index.php?page=data
- North American Bird Monitoring Projects Database – A listing of metadata and links, aptly titled. Put together by Bird Studies Canada, possibly very similar in goals & scope to the previous listing. http://www.bsc-eoc.org/nabm/index.jsp?lang=EN
Compiled December 2006, Updated December 2013
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.