Finfish Commercial Regulations Table
Updated as of October 10, 2013
|Species||Fishery||Season (Open - Close)||Size Limit||Possession Limit|
|American Eel (1)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||6 in||No Limit|
|Black Sea Bass (2)||Weirs||Jan 01 - Dec 31||12 in||See note #2|
|All Gears Except Weirs||Jan 01 Mar 31||12 in||100 lb|
|All Gears Except Weirs||Apr 01 - Aug 05||N/A||0 lb|
|Fish Pots||Aug 06- Sep 11||12 in||300 lb|
|Hook & Line||Aug 06- Sep 11||12 in||150 lb|
|Mobile Gear||Aug 06- Sep 11||12 in||150 lb|
|Bluefish||All||Jan 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||5,000 lb|
|Cod (3)||North of Cape Cod||Jan 01 - Dec 31||19 in||800 lb|
|East & South of Cape Cod||Jan 01 - Dec 31||19 in||1,000 lb|
|Dab (Plaice) (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||12 in||No Limit|
|Fluke (4)||P1: Nets||Jan 01 - Jan 31||14 in||w/o LOA: Prohibited|
|P1: Nets||Feb 01 - Apr 22||14 in||w/o LOA: 500 lb|
|P1: Nets||Jan 01 - Apr 22||14 in||w/ LOA: 1,000 lb per week|
|P2: Nets||Apr 23 - Jun 9||14 in||100 lb|
|P2: Longlines||Apr 23 - Jun 9||14 in||100 lb|
|P2: Handlines or Rod & Reel||Apr 23 - Jun 9||14 in||Prohibited|
|P2: Nets||Jun 10 - Aug 22||14 in||300 lb|
|P2: Longlines||Jun 10 - Aug 22||14 in||200 lb|
|P2: Handlines or Rod & Reel||Jun 10 - Aug 22||14 in||200 lb|
|Haddock (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||16 in||No Limit|
|Illex Squid||All||Jan 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||No Limit|
|Longfin Squid (5)||All||Jan 01 - Apr 30||No Limit||No Limit|
|All||May 1 - Jul 9||No Limit||No Limit|
|All||Jul 10 - Aug 31||No Limit||No Limit|
|All||Sep 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||No Limit|
|Menhaden (11)||Open Access||Jan 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||6,000 lb|
|LOA||Jan 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||6,000 lb|
|Monkfish (6)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||17 in||536 lb tails, 1,560 lb whole|
|Pollock (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||19 in||No Limit|
|Redfish (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||7 in||No Limit|
|Scup (7)||Winter I||Jan 01 - Apr 30||9 in||TBD|
|Fish Weir||May 01 - Quota Dep.||9 in||No Limit|
|Trawlers||Oct 11 -Oct 31||9 in||2,500 lb|
|Non-Trawl||May 01 - May 31||9 in||800 lb|
|Non-Trawl||Jun 01 - Jun 30||9 in||400 lb|
|Non-Trawl||Oct 11 - Oct 31||9 in||2,500 lb|
|Winter II||Nov 01 - Quota Dep.||9 in||8,000 lb|
|Smelt||Hook & Line Only||Jun 16 - Mar 14||No Limit||50 fish|
|Smooth Dogfish||All But Longlines||Jan 01 - Dec 31||No Limit||100 lb|
|Spiny Dogfish||All||May 01 - Quota Dep.||No Limit||4,000 lb|
|Striped Bass (8)||Sunday||July 14 - Aug 06||34 in||5 fish|
|Tues, Wed, Thur||July 14 - Aug 06||34 in||30 fish|
|Tautog (10)||All||Apr 16 - May 5||16 in||40 fish|
|All||Sep 01 - Quota Dep.||16 in||40 fish|
|Weakfish||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||16 in||100 lb|
|Winter Flounder (9)||Gulf of Maine||Jan 01 - Dec 31||12 in||500 lb|
|Southern New England||Jan 01 - Dec 31||12 in||50 lb|
|Witch Flounder (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||13 in||1,000 lb|
|Yellowtail Flounder (3)||All||Jan 01 - Dec 31||12 in||250 lb|
1) Subject to regulation by the Division and local community. Consult local regulations.
2) All fish weirs combined are subject to a quota of 10,000 lbs during the year. From August 6 until the annual quota has been met, all gear types are prohibited from landing and/or possessing black sea bass on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Black sea bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail, not including the tail filament.
3) Groundfish species regulated under the federal Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan are subject to area and season specific groundfish closures in both state and federal waters. It is illegal to harvest cod from a portion of Massachusetts Bay (Winter Cod Conservation Zone ) between November 15 and January 31 and in the Spring Cod Conservation Zone between April 16 and July 21.
4) The fluke limit is 500 lbs for nets during Period I from February 1 until 25% of the annual quota is reached, at which point the possession limit will be dropped to 100 lbs. During the squid season (April 23 – June 9), the fluke limit taken by nets will be 100 lbs. It is illegal to land or possess fluke between the hours of 8 PM and 6 AM. During the Period 2 fishery (June 10 - Closure), it is unlawful for any commercial fisherman to possess or land summer flounder on Fridays or Saturdays.
5) A 2,500 lb trip limit may be implemented if 80% of a trimester’s allocation is landed. From April 22 – June 10 trawlers may use small mesh to fish for squid in state-waters.
6) The minimum size for monkfish is 17" total length or 11" inches for tails
7) All fish weirs combined are subject to a quota of 275,000 lbs during the year. From May 1 - May 31 and from July 1 until the annual quota is reached, commercial pot and hook & line fishermen are prohibited from landing and/or possessing scup on Fridays and Saturdays. From June 1 - June 30, commercial pot and hook & line fishermen are prohibited from landing and/or possessing scup on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. From June 10 until the annual quota is reached, mobile gear fishermen are prohibited from landing and/or possessing scup on Fridays and Saturdays. Note: MarineFisheries has eliminated the closed fishing days of Friday and Saturday for all gear types for the period October 11 to October 31.
8) Commercial fishermen may fish for striped bass only on Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday within the commercial season. Striped bass May be taken by hook and line only; spearing, netting, snagging are prohibited. Note: Permitted party/charter vessel operators may fillet striped bass for their customers. See 322 CMR 6.07 (4)(g) for details.
9) Winter flounder can not be taken inside the spawning closure area or the inshore net areas between Feb 1 and May 31. It is unlawful for commercial fishermen to take winter flounder from Mount Hope Bay and its tributaries
10) The spring tautog season runs from April 16 to May 15 or until 28% of the quota is harvested. The winter tautog season runs from September 1 to November 30 or until 100% of the quota is harvested.
11) Possession limit is 6,000 lb in the open access fishery until 100% of the quota is landed. For permit holders with a Letter of Authorization, the possession/landing limit is unlimited until 50% of the quota is landed; from the time when 50% of the quota is landed until 85% of the quota is landed, the possession/landing limit is 200,000 lbs; once 85% of the quota is landed the possession/landing limit will drop to 6,000 lbs.