For Immediate Release - May 02, 2014

Commercial Spring Tautog Fishery to Close Effective Monday, May 5, 2014

The Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) is projecting the 4,794 pound spring commercial tautog allocation (adjusted for Spring 2013 overage) will be taken by Sunday, May 4, 2014.  Consequently, pursuant to 322 CMR 6.40(1)(d) and 322 CMR 6.41(3), the spring commercial tautog fishery will close effective 0001 hours on Monday, May 5, 2014.  The commercial tautog fishery will re-open on September 1, 2014 and will remain open until the 2014 Massachusetts commercial tautog quota is caught.

During the period of May 5, 2014 through August 31, 2014 it shall be illegal for any persons to catch, land or possess tautog in a manner that does not comply with the recreational fishery limits of 3-fish per angler at a minimum of 16 inches, as specified at 322 CMR 6.40(2) and (3). In addition, dealers are reminded that pursuant to 322 CMR 7.07(5)(b) it is unlawful to purchase tautog from a fisherman when the fishery is closed.

In an ongoing effort to conserve and rebuild local tautog populations, MarineFisheries, with the approval of the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission established the commercial quota in 2007, with 28% allocated to the spring fishery and the remaining 72% allocated to the fall fishery.  The overall 2014 commercial tautog quota is 53,350 lbs. 

For further information contact MarineFisheries staff at 617-626-1520 or please visit our website at www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.