These publications are all available from the authors or from the Annisquam River Marine Fisheries Station at (978) 282-0308.
McKiernan, D.J., and D.E. Pierce. 1995. The Loligo squid fishery in Nantucket and Vineyard Sound.
McBride, H.M., and T.B. Hoopes. 2001. 1999 Lobster fishery statistics.
McKiernan, D.J., R. Johnston, and W. Hoffman. 1999. Southern Gulf of Maine raised footrope trawl experimental whiting fishery.
Nelson, G.A, M.P. Armstrong, and T.B. Hoopes. 2001. Massachusetts 2000 striped bass monitoring report.
Chase, B.C., and A.R. Childs. 2002. Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax) spawning habitat in the Weymouth-Fore River.
Chase, B.C., J.H. Plouff, and W.M. Castonguay. The marine resources of Salem Sound, 1997.
Estrella, B.T., and R.P. Glenn. 2001. Massachusetts coastal commercial lobster sampling program May-November 2000.
Estrella, B.T. 2002. Techniques for live storage and shipping of American lobster, third edition.
McBride, H.M., M.J. Dean, and T.B. Hoopes. 2002. 2000 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics.
Sheppard, J.J, M.P. Armstrong, D.J. McKiernan and D.E. Pierce 2003. Characterization of the Massachusetts Scup (Stenotomus chrysops) Fisheries.
Nelson, G.A., and T.B. Hoopes. 2002. Massachusetts 2001 striped bass fisheries monitoring report.
Howe, A.B., S.J. Correia, T.P. Currier, J. King, and R. Johnston. 2002. Spatial Distribution of Ages 0 and 1 Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) off the Eastern Massachusetts Coast, 1978- 1999, Relative to 'Habitat Area of Special Concern.'
Dean, M.J., K.A. Lundy, and T.B. Hoopes. 2002. 2001 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics.
Estrella, B.T., and R.P. Glenn. 2002. Massachusetts coastal commercial lobster trap sampling program, May-November 2001.
Reback, K.E., P.D. Brady, K.D. McLauglin, and C.G. Milliken. 2004. A survey of anadromous fish passage in coastal Massachusetts: Part 1. Southeastern Massachusetts.
Archival tagging of a basking shark, Cetorhinus maximus, in the western North Atlantic shark, Cetorhinus maximus, in the western North Atlantic
Taunton River Watershed
Buzzards Bay Drainage
General Recommendations, Index, Appendices
Reback, K.E., P.D. Brady, K.D. McLauglin, and C.G. Milliken. 2004. A survey of anadromous fish passage in coastal Massachusetts: Part 2. Cape Cod and the Islands.
General Recommendations, Index, Appendices
Reback, K.E., P.D. Brady, K.D. McLauglin, and C.G. Milliken. 2004. A survey of anadromous fish passage in coastal Massachusetts: Part 4. Boston and North Coastal. In preparation.
General Recommendations, Index, Appendices
Nelson, G.A. 2002 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Dean, M.J., K.A. Lundy, and T.B. Hoopes. 2002 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics.
Nelson, G.A. 2003 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Lyman, E.G. and D.J. McKiernan. 2005. Scale Modeling of Fixed-Fishing Gear to Compare and Quantify Differently Configured Buoyline and Groundline Profiles: An Investigation of Entanglement Threat.
Dean, M.J., K.A. Lundy, and T.B. Hoopes. 2003 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics.
Nelson, G.A. 2004 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Nelson, G.A. 2006. A Guide to Statistical Sampling for the Estimation of River Herring Run Size Using Visual Counts
Dean, M.J., S.R. Reed, and T.B. Hoopes. 2004 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics.
Estrella, B.T. and R.P. Glenn. 2006. Lobster Trap Escape Vent Selectivity.
Nelson, G.A. 2005 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Glenn, R., T. Pugh, J. Barber, and D. Chosid. 2007. 2005 Massachusetts lobster monitoring and status
Chase, B. C. 2006. Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax) spawning habitat on the Gulf of Maine coast of Massachusetts
Dean, M.J., S.R. Reed, and T.B. Hoopes. 2005 Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics
Nelson, G.A. 2006 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Chase, B. C., J. H. Plouff, and M. Gabriel. 2008. An Evaluation of the Use of Egg Transfers and Habitat Restoration to Establish an Anadromous Rainbow Smelt Spawning Population
Nelson, G.A. 2007 Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report
Barber, J. S., K. A. Whitmore, M. Rousseau, D. M. Chosid, and R. P. Glenn.Â 2009.Â Boston Harbor artificial reef site selection and monitoring program
Nelson, G. A.Â 2009.Â Massachusetts striped bass monitoring report for 2008
Leschen, A. S., R. K. Kessler, and B. T. Estrella.Â 2009.Â Eelgrass Restoration Used As Construction Impact Mitigation in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts.
King, J. R., M. J. Camisa, and V. M. Manfredi.Â 2010.Â Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries trawl survey effort, list of species, and bottom temperature trends, 1978-2007
Dean, M. J.Â 2010.Â Massachusetts lobster fishery statistics for 2006
Nelson, G. A.Â 2010.Â Massachusetts striped bass monitoring report for 2009.
Chase, B. C.Â 2010.Â Quality assurance program plan (QAPP) for water quality measurements for diadromous fish monitoring 2008-2012, version 1.0.
Evans, N. T., and A. S. Leschen. 2010. Technical guidelines for the delineation, restoration, and monitoring of eelgrass (Zostera marina) in Massachusetts coastal waters.
Chase, B. C., T. Callaghan, M. B. Dechant, and P. Patel.Â 2010.Â River herring spawning and nursery habitat assessment: Upper Mystic Lake, 2007-2008.
Ford, K. H., and S. Voss.Â 2010.Â Seafloor sediment composition in Massachusetts determined using point data.
Nelson, G. A., P. D. Brady, J. J. Sheppard, and M. P. Armstrong.Â 2011. An assessment of river herring stocks in Massachusetts.
Evans, N. T., K. H. Ford, B. C. Chase, and J. J. Sheppard. 2011. Recommended time of year restrictions (TOYs) for coastal alteration projects to protect marine fisheries resources in Massachusetts.
Â Â Â Â Â Appendix A
Â Â Â Â Â Appendix B : Presence of selected marine fisheries species in Massachusetts coastal water bodies
Nelson, G. A. 2011. Massachusetts striped bass monitoring report for 2010
Hoffman, W. S., S. J. Correia, and D. E. Pierce. 2012. Results of an industry-based survey of Gulf of Maine cod, November 2003 - May 2005
Hoffman, W. S., S. J. Correia, and D. E. Pierce. 2012. Results of an industry-based survey of Gulf of Maine cod, May 2006 - December 2007
Wood, C. H., C. Enterline, K. Mills, B. C. Chase, G. Verreault, J. Fischer, and M. H. Ayer. 2012. Fourth North American workshop on rainbow smelt: extended abstract proceedings
Camisa, M. and A. Wilbur. 2012. Buzzards Bay disposal site fisheries trawl survey report March 2001-March 2002
Nelson, G. A. 2012. Massachusetts striped bass monitoring report for 2011
Chase, B.C., A. Mansfield, and P. duBois. 2013. River Herring Spawning and Nursery Habitat Assessment: Silver Lake 2008-2009.Â
Nelson, G.A. 2013. Massachusetts striped bass monitoring report for 2012.
Sheppard, J.J., S. Block, H.L. Becker, and D. Quinn. 2014. The Acushnet River Restoration Project: Restoring Diadromous Populations to a Superfund Site in Southeastern Massachusetts.
1. Armstrong, M.P., and S.X. Cadrin. 2001. Morphometric variation among spawning groups of the Gulf of Maine-Georges Bank herring complex. Expectations for a New Millennium, Alaska Sea Grant Program, AK-SG-01-04. pp. 575-590.
2. Stockwell, J.S., P.J. Diodati, and M. P. Armstrong. 2002. A bioenergetic evaluation of the chronic-stress hypothesis: can catch-and-release fishing constrain striped bass growth? American Fisheries Society Symposium 30:144-147.
4. Skomal, G. B., B. C. Chase, and E. D. Prince. 2002. A comparison of circle hook and straight hook performance in recreational fisheries for juvenile Atlantic bluefin tuna. American Fisheries Society Symposium 30:57-65.
9. Estrada, J.A., A.N. Rice, M. Lutcavage, G.B. Skomal. 2003. Predicting trophic position in sharks of the Northwestern Atlantic Ocean using stable isotope analysis. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K. (2003) 83, 4445/1-4.
11. Skomal, G.B., Wood, G., & N. Caloyianis. 2004. Archival tagging of a basking shark, Cetorhinus maximus, in the western North Atlantic shark, Cetorhinus maximus, in the western North Atlantic. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K. 84:795-799.
16. Nelson, G. A., B. C. Chase, and J. D. Stockwell. 2006. Population consumption of fish and invertebrate prey by striped bass (Morone saxatilis) from coastal waters of Northern Massachusetts, USA. J. Northw. Atl. Fish. Sci., 36: 111Ã¢â‚¬â€œ126.
17. Glenn, R. P. and T. L. Pugh. 2006. Epizootic shell disease in American lobster (Homarus americanus) in Massachusetts coastal waters: Interactions of temperature, maturity, and intermolt duration. J. Crustacean Biol., 26(4): 639-645.
19. Skomal, G., P. S. Lobel, and G. Marshall. 2007. The use of animal-borne imaging to assess post-release behavior as it relates to capture stress in grey reef sharks, Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos. Mar. Tech. Soc. J. 41(4): 44-48.
23. Mandelman, J. W. and G. B. Skomal. Differential sensitivity to capture stress assessed by blood acid-base status in five carcharhinid sharks. Journal of Comparative Physiology B (2008), doi:10.1007/s00360-008-0306-4 Â
27. Chase, B.C., M.H Ayer, and S.P. Elzey. 2009. Rainbow Smelt Population Monitoring and Restoration on the Gulf of Maine Coast of Massachusetts. Challenges for Diadromous Fishes in a Dynamic Global Environment, pages 899-902.
28. Leschen, A.S., K.H. Ford, and N.T. Evans. 2010. Successful Eelgrass (Zostera marina) Restoration in a Formerly Eutrophic Estuary (Boston Harbor) Supports the Use of a Multifaceted Watershed Approach to Mitigating Eelgrass Loss. Estuaries and Coasts, DOI 10.1007/s12237-010-9272-7.
29. Nelson, G. A., M. P. Armstrong, J. Stritzel-Thomson, and K. D. Friedland. 2010. Thermal habitat of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in coastal waters of northern Massachusetts, USA, during summer. Fisheries Oceanography 19(5): 370-381. (link to abstract - contact Gary Nelson for reprint)
30. Leschen, A. S., and S. J. Correia. 2010. Mortality in female horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) from bio medical bleeding and handling: implications for fisheries management. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology 43(2): 135-147. (link to abstract)
31. He, P. and M. Pol. 2010. Fish Behavior near Gillnets: Capture Processes and Influencing Factors, in: He, P. (ed.), Behavior of Marine Fish: Capture Processes and Conservation Challenges. Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, Iowa. Pp.183-198.
32. Pol, Michael V., Szymanski, Mark, Chosid, David M., and Salerno, Daniel J. 2011. Fork Length Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Total Length Conversions for Haddock and Pollock. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 31(3), pp.427-430.
34. Dean, M. J., W. S. Hoffman, and M. P. Armstrong. 2012. Disruption of an Atlantic cod spawning aggregation resulting from the opening of a directed gill-net fishery. North. Amer. J. Fish. Manage. 32:124-134.
35. Chosid, D.M., M. Pol, M. Szymanski, F. Mirarchi, and A. Mirarchi. 2011. Development and Observations of a spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias reduction device in a raised footrope silver hake Merluccius bilinearis trawl. Fisheries Research, DOI 10.1016/j.fishres.2011.03.007.
38. Skomal, G. B. and J. W. Mandelman. 2012. The physiological response to anthropogenic stressors in marine elasmobranch fishes: A review with a focus on the secondary response. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2011.10.002. (link to abstract - contact Greg Skomal for reprint)
39. Cournane, J. M., J. P. Kritzer, and S. J. Correia. Spatial and temporal patterns of anadromous alosine bycatch in the US Atlantic herring fishery. Fisheries Research 141: 88-94. (link to abstract - contact Steve Correia for reprint)
40. Kneebone, J., J. Chisholm, and G. B. Skomal. 2012. Seasonal residency, habitat use, and site fidelity of juvenile sand tiger sharks Carcharias taurus in a Massachusetts estuary. Inter-Research Marine Ecology Progress Series. DOI:10.3354/meps09989. (link to abstract - contact John Chisholm for reprint)
42. Kneebone, J., J. Chisholm, D. Bernal, and G. Skomal. 2013. The physiological effects of capture stress, recovery, and post-release survivorship of juvenile sand tigers (Carcharias taurus) caught on rod and reel. Fisheries Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.fishres.2013.04.009. (link to abstract - contact John Chisholm for reprint)
43. Pugh, T. L., J. S. Goldstein, K. L. Lavalli, M. Clancy, and W. H. Watson III. 2013. At-sea determination of female American lobster (Homarus americanus) mating activity: Patterns vs. expectations. Fisheries Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.fishres.2013.07.008. (link to abstract - contact Tracy Pugh for reprint)
49. Curtis, T. H., C. T. McCandless, J. K. Carlson, G. B. Skomal, N. E. Kohler, L. J. Natanson, G. H. Burgess, J. J. Hoey, and H. L. Pratt Jr. 2014. Seasonal Distribution and Historic Trends in Abundance of White Sharks, <em>Carcharodon carcharias</em>, in the Western North Atlantic Ocean. PLOS ONE. 9(6), pp. 1-12.
50. Curtis, T. H., S. I. Zeeman, E. L. Summers, S. X. Cadrin, and G. B. Skomal. 2014. Eyes in the sky: linking satellite oceanography and biotelemetry to explore habitat selection by basking sharks. Animal Biotelemetry. DOI:10.1186/2050-3385-2-12.