In Massachusetts, Boards of Health (BOH) work closely with MassDEP to address environmental and public health complaints. The Board of Health is the primary responder for most noise disturbances in a community and works closely with both MassDEP and with local police departments to ensure that noise complaints are properly addressed.

Who should I contact?

Contact your local Board of Health for noise disturbances from business operations and activities, from campgrounds and other outdoor venues and from heavy equipment such as heating and ventilation systems, air conditioners, other rooftop machinery, wind turbines and construction. 

Contact your local Police Department for disorderly conduct / disturbing the peace complaints and for noise disturbances from recreational vehicles such as dirt bikes and ATVs.