Project Information, Reports & Data
- Frequently Asked Questions: Closure of the Unlined Landfill on Old Fall River Road, Dartmouth
Prepared by MassDEP to address questions raised about the project during public information sessions.
- Independent Financial Estimate for Old Fall River Road Landfill Closure
Assessment of the cost of materials, labor, equipment and support services that would be required to close and cap the landfill in accordance with MassDEP regulations and policies. October 2013.
- MassDEP Statement on Independent Financial Estimate for Old Fall River Landfill Closure
The agency obtained an independent assessment so town officials and the public would be confident MassDEP would not depend solely on estimates prepared by a consultant for the proponent.
- Haley & Aldrich Summary of Groundwater Assessment Findings, June 2013 file size 4MB
Analytical results from May 2013 groundwater sampling.
March 28, 2013, Public Information Session
This former landfill must be closed in accordance with MassDEP regulations. At this Public information session, a conceptual closure proposal was presented by consultants working on the Landfill owner’s behalf. MassDEP has issued guidance on the procedures and criteria the MassDEP will use when reviewing requests for Closure Activities at Inactive Unlined Landfill Sites . This conceptual closure proposal is one option for the landfill owner to comply with the regulatory requirements.
An overview of the proposed capping of the unlined Old Fall River Road Landfill in Dartmouth.
Boston Environmental Corp./Sitec Environmental Inc. Presentation file size 3MB
Project information from the consultants working for the property owner.
Public Comments & Petition Received
The MassDEP Southeast Regional Office conducted a 45-day public comment period on the proposed plan to cap this unlined in Dartmouth. This comment period concluded on May 13, 2013. MassDEP is providing here all comments and a petition received as of that date.
- Public Comments Received as of May 13, 2013 file size 6MB
- Cecil Smith Landfill Disclosure & Safety Petitions file size 4MB
Submitted by Gloria F. Bancroft on behalf of 353 individuals.
MassDEP will require the owner/proponent - Mary Robinson and Boston Environmental - to address these comments received from the community, and to modify their proposal for capping the landfill and mitigating the project’s impacts, as appropriate. The agency will also respond to the public’s questions and concerns as it determines how the landfill will be closed and any outstanding non-compliance will need to be resolved.
June 27 & July 11, 2013, Public Information Meetings
MassDEP held two public informational meetings as part of its response to written public comments received on the proposed capping and conceptual closure plan for the Old Fall River Road Landfill. The first was primarily devoted to site risk related matters and the second addressed other outstanding issues including prior non-compliance, truck traffic, closure design alternatives and cost considerations. Materials from these sessions are provided here.
- June 27, 2013: Overview of How MassDEP Evaluates/Regulates Chemicals in the Environment
- June 27, 2013: MassDEP Evaluation of Recent Groundwater Sampling & EPA Historical Data
- June 27, 2013: Management & Re-Use of Soil
- June 27, 2013: Haley & Aldrich Supplemental Groundwater Evaluation
- July 11, 2013: Agenda, Traffic Impacts/Safeguards Presentation & June 27 Meeting Review
- July 11, 2013: MassDEP Poster Boards
Contact Mark Dakers of the MassDEP Southeast Regional Office: 508-946-2847 or email@example.com