Project Information, Reports & Data
Frequently Asked Questions: Closure of the Unlined Landfill on Old Fall River Road, Dartmouth
Prepared by MassDEP to address questions raised about the project during public information sessions.
Independent Financial Estimate for Old Fall River Road Landfill Closure
Assessment of the cost of materials, labor, equipment and support services that would be required to close and cap the landfill in accordance with MassDEP regulations and policies. October 2013.
MassDEP Statement on Independent Financial Estimate for Old Fall River Landfill Closure
The agency obtained an independent assessment so town officials and the public would be confident MassDEP would not depend solely on estimates prepared by a consultant for the proponent.
Haley & Aldrich Summary of Groundwater Assessment Findings, June 2013
Analytical results from May 2013 groundwater sampling.
MassDEP Permits, Determinations & Enforcement Documents
MassDEP Determination of Technical Deficiency: Corrective Action Design (CAD) Application, August 25, 2014
The agency has determined that the application prepared for Boston Environmental Corp. is technically incomplete and that the company must provided additional information.
MassDEP Approval: Initial Site Assessment/Comprehensive Site Assessment Scope of Work, August 14, 2014
The Scope of Work was submitted in May 2014 as a condition of the March 2014 Administrative Consent Order on closure/capping of the landfill.
- Boston Environmental Corp. Response to Town Comments, July 22, 2014
- MassDEP Response to Town Comments, August 15, 2014
Engineering Report Narrative from Corrective Action Design (CAD) Application
Submitted by Boston Environmental Corp. on June 26, 2014. Note: If you wish to review the entire CAD application, it is available in both paper copy and electronic formats at the Southworth Public Library, 732 Dartmouth Street, Dartmouth, and in paper copy format at the MassDEP Southeast Regional Office, 20 Riverside Drive, Lakeville.
Initial Site Assessment/Comprehensive Site Assessment-Scope of Work
Permit application submitted on May 22, 2014, to meet the requirements of the March 2014 administrative consent order executed by MassDEP, Boston Environmental Corp. and the property owner. The agency is currently reviewing this application for compliance with applicable regulations and policies.
- Administrative Consent Order: Closure/Capping of Old Fall River Road Landfill, March 2014
- Administrative Consent Order with Penalty: Closure/Capping of Old Fall River Road Landfill, March 2014
- Unilateral Administrative Order: Old Fall River Road Landfill, August 2009
March 28, 2013, Public Information Session
This former landfill must be closed in accordance with MassDEP regulations. At this Public information session, a conceptual closure proposal was presented by consultants working on the Landfill owner’s behalf. MassDEP has issued guidance on the procedures and criteria the MassDEP will use when reviewing requests for Closure Activities at Inactive Unlined Landfill Sites . This conceptual closure proposal is one option for the landfill owner to comply with the regulatory requirements.
An overview of the proposed capping of the unlined Old Fall River Road Landfill in Dartmouth.
Boston Environmental Corp./Sitec Environmental Inc. Presentation
Project information from the consultants working for the property owner.
Public Comments, Petition Received & Proponent's Response
The MassDEP Southeast Regional Office conducted a 45-day public comment period on the proposed plan to cap this unlined in Dartmouth. This comment period concluded on May 13, 2013. MassDEP is providing here all comments and a petition received as of that date.
- Public Comments Received as of May 13, 2013
Cecil Smith Landfill Disclosure & Safety Petitions
Submitted by Gloria F. Bancroft on behalf of 353 individuals.
MassDEP required the owner/proponent - Mary Robinson and Boston Environmental Corp. - to address these comments received from the community, and to modify their proposal for capping the landfill and mitigating the project’s impacts.
June 27 & July 11, 2013, Public Information Meetings
MassDEP held two public informational meetings as part of its response to written public comments received on the proposed capping and conceptual closure plan for the Old Fall River Road Landfill. The first was primarily devoted to site risk related matters and the second addressed other outstanding issues including prior non-compliance, truck traffic, closure design alternatives and cost considerations. Materials from these sessions are provided here.
- June 27, 2013: Overview of How MassDEP Evaluates/Regulates Chemicals in the Environment
- June 27, 2013: MassDEP Evaluation of Recent Groundwater Sampling & EPA Historical Data
- June 27, 2013: Management & Re-Use of Soil
- June 27, 2013: Haley & Aldrich Supplemental Groundwater Evaluation
- July 11, 2013: Agenda, Traffic Impacts/Safeguards Presentation & June 27 Meeting Review
- July 11, 2013: MassDEP Poster Boards
- Fact Sheet: Old Fall River Road Landfill, Dartmouth
Closure Activities at Inactive Unlined Landfill Sites
Provides guidance on MassDEP procedures and criteria for closing inactive landfills and evaluating alternative grading and shaping materials.
Policy # COMM-97-01: Reuse & Disposal of Contaminated Soil at Massachusetts Landfills
Provides guidance on MassDEP requirements, standards and approvals for testing, tracking, transport and reuse or disposal of contaminated soil at permitted landfills.
- MassDEP Memos: Landfill Daily Cover (1992) & Evaluation of Landfill Soil Cover Criteria (1993)
- List of Communities That Have Used COMM-97-001 Soils to Cap Landfills
- Additional Responses to Questions on Risk & COMM-97-001 Soils
- MassDEP Response to Dartmouth Board of Health Inquiry on Contaminated Soils & Cleanup Standards - March 31, 2014
Mark Dakers, MassDEP Southeast Regional Office: 508-946-2847 or email@example.com