Only those outdoor hydronic heaters (wood-fired boilers) that are U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Phase 2 "white tag" qualified and whose manufacturers have filed compliance certifications with the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) may be sold for installation in Massachusetts.
- 310 CMR 7.26(50) through (54): Wood-Fired Boilers
The Massachusetts Outdoor Hydronic Heater (OHH) Regulation.
- OHH Manufacturers Certification Form
A manufacturer may certify at any point after a model has been tested by a approved lab, reviewed by EPA’s Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) group and is in compliance with the substantive state requirements.
- OHH Manufacturers Certification Form Instructions
Section-by-section explanation of how to complete the certification form.
- OHH Manufacturers Return to Compliance Plan
If you are unable to comply with a requirement at the time you certify, fill out this plan.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) List of Cleaner-Burning Phase 2 OHH Units
Only EPA Phase 2 units are eligible for MassDEP certification.
- Massachusetts-Certified Outdoor Hydronic Heaters
Only the units that appear on this list may legally be sold and installed for use in Massachusetts.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.