Only those outdoor hydronic heaters (wood-fired boilers) that are U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Phase 2 "white tag" qualified and whose manufacturers have filed compliance certifications with the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) may be sold for installation in Massachusetts.
- 310 CMR 7.26(50) through (54): Wood-Fired Boilers
The Massachusetts Outdoor Hydronic Heater (OHH) Regulation.
- OHH Manufacturers Certification Form
A manufacturer may certify at any point after a model has been tested by a approved lab, reviewed by EPA’s Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) group and is in compliance with the substantive state requirements.
- OHH Manufacturers Certification Form Instructions
Section-by-section explanation of how to complete the certification form.
- OHH Manufacturers Return to Compliance Plan
If you are unable to comply with a requirement at the time you certify, fill out this plan.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) List of Cleaner-Burning Phase 2 OHH Units
Only EPA Phase 2 units are eligible for MassDEP certification.
- Massachusetts-Certified Outdoor Hydronic Heaters
Only the units that appear on this list may legally be sold and installed for use in Massachusetts.