Reporting of greenhouse gas emissions provides data that is important for developing emission reduction targets and plans, and for measuring progress toward goals.
The Global Warming Solutions Act (GWSA) required the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) to promulgate mandatory greenhouse gas reporting regulations. (See Sections 2 and 10 of the Act, found at M.G.L. Chapter 21N).
MassDEP responded by issuing a regulation that:
- Identified the types of facilities that are required to report (see a list) The Climate Registry;
- Required those facilities to register with MassDEP by April 15, 2009;
- Establishes the methodologies that must be used to calculate emissions (published in The Climate Registry General Reporting Protocol);
- Establishes requirements for verification of emission calculations;
- Allows voluntary reporting by facilities that are not required to report; and
- Establishes specific requirements for retail sellers of electricity.
Please contact Will Space (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or need additional information about the MassDEP greenhouse gas emissions reporting program.