Truck traffic and equipment operation in and around wholesale markets, warehouses and distribution centers across Massachusetts exposes workers at these facilities and neighbors to diesel emissions. The Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) is offering grants to owners of diesel-powered trucks and equipment servicing and operating at these facilities to buy and install three types of emission reducing technologies:
- Auxiliary Power Units (APUs). These small diesel engines are installed on long-haul Class 8 trucks to provide cooling, heating and electricity so a truck's main engine can be shut down rather than idle when parked for extended periods. More information: APU Grant Brochure file size 1MB
- Electric Transportation Refrigeration Units (eTRUs). These units are powered by land-based electrical infrastructure rather than diesel engines. More information: eTRU Grant Brochure file size 3MB
- Retrofit Devices. A variety of equipment can be installed in place of, or in-line with, a diesel engine's existing muffler to reduce emissions. More information: Retrofit Grant Brochure file size 3MB
The total available funding for technologies under Round II of the MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program is approximately $275,000 and is provided by the federal Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) and other sources. MassDEP will award grants subject to the availability of funds and the quality of applications received.
- MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program Grant Guidance
- MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program Technology Guide file size 4MB
- MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program Technology Vendor List
- MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program Grant Application Form
- MassCleanDiesel: Clean Markets Program Grant Application Instructions
Submit your completed application (hard copy only) no later than Friday, May 16, 2014, to:
Diesel Emissions Reductions Grant Programs Coordinator
MassDEP Bureau of Waste Prevention
One Winter Street, 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
For additional information, contact Susan Lyon: 617-556-1101 or email@example.com
- Diesel Pollution in Massachusetts
- Health & Environmental Effects of Diesel Pollution
- Diesel Technology Forum
- Northeast Diesel Collaborative
Flickr Photos of Available Technologies
Visit the MassDEP Flickr Photostream for larger photos and descriptions of auxiliary power units (APUs), electric transportation refrigeration units (eTRUs) and diesel retrofit devices, all of which are available through the MassCleanDiesel Clean Markets Grant Program.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.