Nuisance conditions - including noise, odor, dust and smoke - are generally addressed by municipal fire and/or health departments, although MassDEP issues policies and guidance to help them in their regulatory and enforcement roles.
Fact Sheets, Policies & Guidance
- Guidance for Adopting Municipal Air Pollution Regulations Under M.G.L. Chapter 111, Section 31C
- Fact Sheet: MassDEP Noise Policy
- Noise Pollution Policy Interpretation
- How Municipalities Should Respond to Noise, Odor & Dust Complaints
- Massachusetts Open Burning Policies, Guidance & Training
Policies, guidance and training on open burning restrictions, prohibitions and exemptions.
- Open Burning: Answers to Your Burning Questions
There are limits on what can be burned and when in Massachusetts, as well as important public health and safety requirements.