Note: Municipalities adopting regulations to control air pollution need to comply with the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 31C. See: Guidance for Adopting Municipal Air Pollution Regulations Under M.G.L. Chapter 111, Section 31C
- Guidelines for Disposal of Tree Debris from Specific Natural Disasters
MassDEP views open burning as a last resort, when no other option is available.
- Supplemental Guidance on Stockpiling of Clean Tree Debris
While stockpiling should present few environmental issues, poorly located sites can quickly fill up and/or lead to nuisance conditions.
- Open Burning: Answers to Your Burning Questions
This page provides answers to your questions about open burning and offers you suggestions on how to do it right.
- General Prohibitions, Agricultural Burning & Fire Training Policy
Spells out the types of burning that are prohibited under all circumstances, and provides guidance for open burning for agricultural and fire training purposes.
- Open Burning: Training for Fire Officials
Presented in 2006.
- Open Burning: Presentation on Live Fire Training Exercises file size 1MB
Presented in 2008.