MassDEP requires that a Bill of Lading (BOL) be used to record the transportation and final destination of certain classes of remediation waste generated during actions taken in response to releases of oil and/or hazardous materials. On January 3, 2011, the BWSC112 Bill of Lading replaced the old BWSC012 Bill of Lading (dated 10/94). This new version of the Bill of Lading (BWSC112) is designed to be filed electronically through eDEP.
Regulatory requirements for shipping remediation waste under a Bill of Lading have not changed; only the process to submit a Bill of Lading is different.
Every BWSC112 BOL submitted to MassDEP has at least two parts:
Part 1- Initiating the BOL Process:
Both the PRP and LSP must complete, electronically sign and submit a BWSC112 Bill of Lading including an LSP Opinion and Remediation Waste Characterization. MassDEP requires that this first part be completed and submitted electronically through eDEP prior to shipment of any remediation waste.
Steps to complete Part 1 of the BOL in eDEP:
- Create a new BWSC112 Form in eDEP
- Select Box B1.
- Complete all required sections of the form.
- Validate (error check) the BWSC112 form.
- Attach the LSP Opinion and Remediation Waste Characterization.
- Have the PRP and LSP electronically sign and submit this first part of the BOL through eDEP.
- Print date-stamped copies of the submitted BWSC112 with the LSP Opinion and Remediation Waste Characterization to be carried in the transport vehicle(s) when transporting remediation waste.
NOTE: Upon creation of Part 1 of the BOL in eDEP, the eDEP transaction ID# will be assigned to the transmittal form. The transaction ID# appears on the eDEP Transaction Overview Page and can be found on the eDEP Summary/Receipt page. Please make note of the eDEP transaction ID# as it will be used at a later date to submit the remaining parts of the BOL Package. The eDEP transaction ID# links submittals made to satisfy Part 2 of the BOL Process with the appropriate Bill of Lading (Part 1). This allows for multiple BOLs to be associated with one RTN.
Part 2- Completing the BOL Process:
After completion of shipment, both the PRP and a representative of the Receiving Facility will need to finalize the BOL by completing and submitting a BOL Attestation of Completion of Shipment to Receiving Facility or as an interim step, if appropriate, an Attestation of Completion of Shipment to Temporary Storage.
NOTE: The Attestation of Shipment is not required to be filed electronically through eDEP, although MassDEP does encourage the use of electronic filing for the entire BOL process.
Steps to complete Part 2 of the BOL Process:
- Create a new BWSC112 in eDEP.
- Select Box B3 to Submit an Attestation of Completion of Shipment to Receiving Facility, or select Box B2, if appropriate, for an Attestation of Completion of Shipment to Temporary Storage.
- Insert the Transaction ID# from Part 1 of the BOL into Box B5.
- Complete Sections B, D, E, G, H (and I, if appropriate).
- Validate (error check) the BWSC112 Form.
- Complete and validate as many of the BWSC112A, Summary of Shipment Sheets, as needed. Complete and validate the BWSC112B, Summary Sheet Signature Page. Both will appear in the eDEP Transaction Overview Page once the BWSC112, with Box B3 (or B2) selected, and is validated.
- Have the PRP and a representative of the Receiving Facility sign and submit this second part of the BOL Attestation of Shipment acknowledging that the shipped remediation waste was received by the receiving facility within 30 days of final shipment from a temporary storage site or disposal area.
NOTE: An LSP Signature or Opinion is not required for the BOL Attestation of Shipment. In order to file a BOL Attestation of Shipment in eDEP both the PRP and a representative of the Receiving Facility will need to be registered in eDEP with a username and password. Register in eDEP
PRPs and representatives of the Receiving Facility can also download copies of the BWSC112, BWSC112A, and BWSC112B forms from our Transmittal Forms page to submit a paper copy of the BOL Attestation of Shipment to the regional office.
MassDEP does not consider the Bill of Lading Package complete unless a Bill of Lading with attached Remediation Waste Characterization and an Attestation of Completion of Shipment to Receiving Facility is received by MassDEP.