Mission & Purpose
Mission: Spill Prevention and Technical Assistance
Purpose: To provide technical information and guidance to assist storage tank owner/operator with:
- Development and implementation of preventative measures to reduce the potential for releases from underground storage tank systems, including measures operators can take to reduce the likelihood and minimize impact of spills during filling operations.
- Procedures for reporting releases or threats of a release from underground storage tanks (UST) or aboveground storage tanks (AST).
- Guidance for assessment and remediation during tank removal.
- Guidance for Homeowners with:
- underground storage tanks for heating oil
- release of heating oil from tank or piping
- Guidance for oil delivery professionals.
- Spill Prevention Contingency Plan development assistance for facilities with AST and/or UST.
Information & Forms specific to fuel oil and storage tanks
- Help for Homeowners & Businesses
This series of explanations, guidelines, recommendations, and tips are provided to help you through the process of preventing and cleaning up spills on your property.
- WSC-402-96 Underground Storage Tank Closure Assessment Manual
- WSC-94-400 Interim Remediation Waste Management Policy for Petroleum Contaminated Soils
- WSC-02-411 Characterizing Risks Posed by Petroleum Contaminated Sites: Implementation of the MADEP VPH/EPH Approach file size 1MB
- A Guide for Oil Companies: Preventing Costly Spills During Heating Oil Deliveries
- Interim Final Petroleum Report: Development of Health-Based Alternative to the Total Petroleum Hydrocarbon (TPH) Parameter
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program
- UST Query Tool - Records of UST-Related Leaks and Spills
- Welcome to the Department of Revenue's Online Service Center for the Underground Storage Tank Program
This unit oversees the operations of two programs: the Petroleum Product Cleanup Fund and the Cities and Towns Municipal Grants Program.
- US EPA: Office of Underground Storage Tanks