In addition to administering state cleanup laws and regulations, the Bureau of Waste Site Cleanup takes an active role in promoting brownfields redevelopment projects in a variety of ways. MassDEP offers the following assistance:
Technical assistance through single points of contact that have been established in Boston and each MassDEP regional office. Information on the cleanup process, funding, and, in some instances, site-specific information, is available to assist parties undertaking these projects.
Certification of eligibility for the .
Flexibility on cleanup timelines available through the Special Project Designation, a provision in MassDEP's waste site cleanup regulations that provides flexibility for brownfields and other public projects. In 2006, the Special Projects Designation was expanded and amended to:
- Apply to deadlines for Comprehensive Response Actions, in addition to Tier Classification
- Apply to Eligible Persons and Eligible Tenants under MGL 21E, in addition to any 'public body politic'
- Add a municipal cap provision, tied to population
- Presumptively approve permits (via 40.0700)
- Add a provision to allow transfer of the Special Projects Designation
- Add an exception to the Municipal Special Projects cap
Support to the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) on the Environmental Justice Initiative designed to ensure that environmental justice populations have a strong voice in environmental decision-making. View the MassDEP/BWSC Environmental Justice 2003 Final Report .
Technical assistance to communities and organizations that have received funding under the EPA Brownfields Cleanup Revolving Loan Fund Program by supplying a Brownfields Site Manager to oversee remedial actions.
MassDEP maintains a list of contacts for cities, towns, counties and regional planning agencies that are known to maintain information about local brownfield sites which may be suitable for redevelopment.
For more information contact MassDEP's Director of Brownfields, Rodney Elliott at 617-292-5523 or firstname.lastname@example.org.