Contaminated Land & Brownfields
- Closed Landfills With Permits for Renewable Energy
MassDEP encourages the "recycling" of closed landfills into renewable energy facilities and has approved more than 80 solar and wind installations rated at nearly 200 megawatts so far.
- Landfill Profiles for Project Developers, July 2015
Information about facility ownership, operational status, acreage, wind speed, distance to nearest transmission lines, more.
- Examples: Completed Renewables-on-Landfills Projects
Solar and wind installations in Massachusetts and across the country.
- Shaffer Landfill Named a 2015 "Best Project"
Billerica solar site wins Engineering News Record regional award.
- An Old New England Town Lights the Way with Solar
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) RE-Powering America's Land case study on the Scituate landfill solar farm.
- Hull Cited as Wind Power Pioneer
The U.S. Department of Energy has recognized the South Shore town for "outstanding leadership in advancing the use of wind power in a coastal community."
- Lancaster Solar Real-Time Data
Power generation and environmental benefit "dashboard" for solar panels operating on a closed landfill.