- Extreme caution must be exercised when lighting flares.
- Flares produce a large amount of smoke when lit.
- Store flares in a dry location. Keep out of reach of children or pets.
- Call the local fire department to see if staff there can manage them.
- Some fire departments collect them to donate to fire safety training academies.
- For road flares, call the MassDOT Highway Division district office nearest you to see if they may be able to use them on any upcoming roadwork projects.
- For boat flares, help arrange a demo day with the U.S. Coast Guard for boaters on how to use flares. Boating clubs may also be able to arrange demo days.
- Check with the Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla or Power Squadrons to see if they can use them.
- Do not light them without permission from the Coast Guard as it is a federal offense to call a false emergency.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.