- Extreme caution must be exercised when lighting flares.
- Flares produce a large amount of smoke when lit.
- Store flares in a dry location. Keep out of reach of children or pets.
- Call the local fire department to see if staff there can manage them.
- Some fire departments collect them to donate to fire safety training academies.
- For road flares, call the MassDOT Highway Division district office nearest you to see if they may be able to use them on any upcoming roadwork projects.
- For boat flares, help arrange a demo day with the U.S. Coast Guard for boaters on how to use flares. Boating clubs may also be able to arrange demo days.
- Check with the Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla or Power Squadrons to see if they can use them.
- Do not light them without permission from the Coast Guard as it is a federal offense to call a false emergency.