A commercial hazardous waste disposal facility - Clean Harbors Inc., 1 Hill Avenue, Braintree, MA 02184 - accepts most hazardous household products on a cost-per-pound basis. Call 800-444-4244 for information or an appointment.
Important Questions to Ask Callers with Hazardous Household Products
- What hazardous household products do they have and how much do they have of each?
- Has the material been mixed with anything? If so, or if the material is unknown, it will have to be handled at a household hazardous waste collection or commercial hazardous waste facility.
- Is the container in good condition? If not, they will need to repackage and re-label the material to store or transport it properly. It is important to keep product labels intact if possible.
General Rules for Consumers to Manage Hazardous Household Products
- Use up and store the product according to label directions.
- Use household chemical products only in well-ventilated areas or outside.
- Do not leave products unattended in the middle of a job.
- Keep children and pets away when products are in use.
- Keep lids on containers tightly sealed whenever the container does not need to be open.
- Store products out of reach of children and pets and away from food.
- Store away from sources of heat, flame, or sparks.
- Do not smoke while using hazardous household products.
- Do not mix different wastes, keep in original container.
- If the container gets wet, damaged, or begins to corrode, keep the product in the original container and place the damaged container inside a plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid. Clearly label the container and include any label warnings from the product.
- If you no longer plan to use up a product that is still usable, donate to a friend or community organization that can use it. For example, surplus paints may be welcomed for theater projects, or renovation projects at churches or homeless shelters.
- Liquid wastes should not go in solid waste landfills or combustion facilities.
Important Telephone Numbers
- Business hazardous waste management questions: 617-292-5898
- Confidential compliance assistance to businesses: 617-626-1060
- Poison control: 617-232-2120
- Used oil: 617-556-1022