A commercial hazardous waste disposal facility - Clean Harbors Inc., 1 Hill Avenue, Braintree, MA 02184 - accepts most hazardous household products on a cost-per-pound basis. Call 800-444-4244 for information or an appointment.
Important Questions to Ask Callers with Hazardous Household Products
- What hazardous household products do they have and how much do they have of each?
- Has the material been mixed with anything? If so, or if the material is unknown, it will have to be handled at a household hazardous waste collection or commercial hazardous waste facility.
- Is the container in good condition? If not, they will need to repackage and re-label the material to store or transport it properly. It is important to keep product labels intact if possible.
General Rules for Consumers to Manage Hazardous Household Products
- Use up and store the product according to label directions.
- Use household chemical products only in well-ventilated areas or outside.
- Do not leave products unattended in the middle of a job.
- Keep children and pets away when products are in use.
- Keep lids on containers tightly sealed whenever the container does not need to be open.
- Store products out of reach of children and pets and away from food.
- Store away from sources of heat, flame, or sparks.
- Do not smoke while using hazardous household products.
- Do not mix different wastes, keep in original container.
- If the container gets wet, damaged, or begins to corrode, keep the product in the original container and place the damaged container inside a plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid. Clearly label the container and include any label warnings from the product.
- If you no longer plan to use up a product that is still usable, donate to a friend or community organization that can use it. For example, surplus paints may be welcomed for theater projects, or renovation projects at churches or homeless shelters.
- Liquid wastes should not go in solid waste landfills or combustion facilities.
Important Telephone Numbers
- Business hazardous waste management questions: 617-292-5898
- Confidential compliance assistance to businesses: 617-626-1060
- Consumer hazardous household product questions: 800-343-3420
- Difficult-to-manage wastes: 800-343-3420
- Poison control: 617-232-2120
- Used oil: 617-556-1022
MassDEP Regional Service Centers
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.