Your hazardous waste generator status determines how much waste you may accumulate at your site at one time, and how quickly you need to ship it off-site for recycling or disposal.

If you generate less than 220 pounds (approximately 27 gallons) of hazardous waste or waste oil per month and no acutely hazardous waste, you may register with the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG). As a VSQG, you may accumulate up to 2,200 pounds (about 270 gallons) for an indefinite period of time.

  • If you generate between 220 and 2,200 pounds per month (approximately 27 to 270 gallons), and/or up to 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of acutely hazardous waste per month, you are a Small Quantity Generator (SQG) and may accumulate up to 13,200 pounds (1,500 to 1,620 gallons) for no more than 180 days.
  • If you generate more than 2,200 pounds (approximately 270 gallons) and/or more than 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of acutely hazardous waste per month, you are a Large Quantity Generator (LQG). You may accumulate any quantity on-site, but must ship it within 90 days. Please minimize your waste to the best of your ability.

Note: The same numerical thresholds apply to both hazardous waste and waste oil. You may register separately and maintain different generator status for each, depending on the quantities you generate.

Registration & Notification Requirements

Before generating, accumulating, or shipping any hazardous waste, you must either register as a generator with MassDEP or notify the agency of your hazardous waste activities.

Register with MassDEP:

If you are a VSQG and/or a SQG of waste oil, you need to submit a Hazardous Waste Generator Registration Form pdf format of Hazardous Waste Generator Registration Form
doc format of                             Hazardous Waste Generator Registration Form                listing the types and quantities of waste you generate, and where you sent it for recycling, treatment or disposal.

Use the Generator Registration Form to assign your facility a MassDEP identification (ID) number: the prefix MV followed by your ten-digit telephone number, including the area code (for example: MV6172925500). Mail the completed form to MassDEP (see the instructions for the correct address) and be sure to keep a copy for your records.

Note: If you already have registered with MassDEP and obtained an ID number, you should continue to use this number even if you downgrade your hazardous waste generator status. Your ID number may begin with a prefix such as MAD, MAR, MA5 or MAV.

Notify MassDEP:

If you are an SQG of hazardous waste or an LQG of hazardous waste or waste oil, you must file a Massachusetts SQG/LQG Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity Form (August 2004)  pdf format of Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity Form
doc format of                             Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity Form                with MassDEP and comply with all requirements that apply to your elevated status. This form may also be used to notify MassDEP that you are relocating or discontinuing your hazardous waste activities.

To obtain registration or notification forms:

Download them at Hazardous Waste Forms or call 617-292-5898 to request copies by mail.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.