- Sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in most pool chemicals, can irritate eyes and skin.
- Sodium hypochlorite is highly reactive; can cause fire if in contact with organic materials.
- Handle with rubber gloves.
- Do not mix with ammonia or vinegar as it will produce toxic chloramine gas.
- Sodium hypochlorite is the same chemical used in most water treatment facilities. Check with your facility to see if they will accept it.
- Do not dispose of in the trash or down the drain.
- Take to hazardous household waste collection day or commercial hazardous waste facility.