State hazardous waste regulations require every hazardous waste generator, transporter and facility operating within Massachusetts to obtain a hazardous waste identification number (ID). When appropriately used, this ID helps the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) track hazardous waste shipments. There are two types of IDs: permanent and temporary.

Your company or organization may assign itself a permanent hazardous waste generator identification number ("MV number") using the DEP Registration Form if it is:

  • A new Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG)(1) or Small Quantity Generator (SQG)(2) of waste oil that manifests hazardous waste and needs to register its continuous hazardous waste activity with DEP. For more information, please see DEP's VSQG Fact Sheet; or
  • A contractor and needs to register as a self-transporter under DEP's Policy for Contractors with Hazardous Waste (# HW89-02).

Your company or organization may assign itself a temporary hazardous waste generator ID ("MP number") without registering with DEP only if it is:

  • A new SQG or LQG(3) of hazardous waste or a LQG of waste oil that has applied to DEP for a permanent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ID and needs to use a temporary ID on manifests until the permanent ID is received;
  • Shipping hazardous wastes off site only for a short period of time (typically less than 30 days);
  • Shipping wastes off site due to a one-time event such as a hazardous chemical cleanout or spill cleanup; or
  • Shipping remediation wastes for less than one year from a contaminated site that has been reported to the DEP Bureau of Waste Site Cleanup in accordance with M.G.L. Chapter 21E.  If shipments are to continue for a longer period, the responsible party must obtain a permanent EPA or DEP ID.

MV numbers are permanent and stay the same as long as the type and level of activity remain unchanged. MP numbers are temporary. Except for remediation activities at sites regulated under M.G.L. Chapter 21E, they are valid for 30 days or until a permanent EPA or DEP ID is assigned, whichever is shorter.

Your company or organization may not use a self-assigned hazardous waste generator ID if it already holds a permanent site-specific EPA or DEP ID ("MV" plus 10 digits) or was assigned a permanent site-specific DEP ID number ("MAV" plus 9 digits) before October 1, 1992.

(1) Very Small Quantity Generator - generates less than 100 kilograms (27 gallons) in a month's time (and no acutely hazardous waste)
(2) Small Quantity Generator - generates 100 kilograms or more but less than 1,000 kilograms (270 gallons) in a month's time
(3) Large Quantity Generator - generates 1,000 kilograms or more in a month's time

How to Self-Assign Your ID

A self-assigned ID number consists of a prefix ("MV" or "MP") followed by your company or organization's 10-digit telephone number. The table below indicates which prefixes are applicable to various generator categories.

For example, if your company or organization is a new LQG of waste oil with a telephone number of 978-555-3344 and still awaiting a permanent ID from DEP, your self-assigned number would be MP9785553344.

If you are a VSQG or SQG of waste oil, or a contractor, you must register your self-assigned ID number ("MV") with DEP (see below for information on obtaining the proper form). The number applies to one specific location. Please note:

  • If your company or organization operates at multiple locations, it needs to obtain a unique ID number for each one.
  • In the event of a move, your company or organization needs to submit a Change-of-Status Form to DEP to document the end of activity at its former location, assign itself a new ID, and re-register with DEP for its new location.

Self-assigned ID numbers are not affected by telephone area code changes.


Generator Category
Register MP/MV With DEP?
New VSQG and/or SQG of Waste Oil
New SQG or LQG Awaiting EPA or DEP ID
Short-Term or One-Time Cleanout/Spill Wastes
Generator of Remediation Wastes from a 21E Site

For More Information

  • Call the MassDEP Business Compliance Division Hazardous Waste Line at 617-292-5898 to obtain copies of the hazardous waste generator registration forms and policies referenced in this fact sheet, other helpful publications, technical assistance or a copy of the Little Things Mean a Lot video for SQGs (which is available for loan or purchase).
  • Visit the MassDEP website to download copies of the Massachusetts Hazardous Waste Regulations (310 CMR 30.000), the Summary of Requirements for Small Quantity Generators (SQGs) of Hazardous Waste, hazardous waste generator registration forms, and a list of companies that provide hazardous waste management services in Massachusetts.