- Landfills, Transfer Stations & Compost Sites
Find lists of operating and inactive solid waste facilities and locations across the state.
- Marketing On-Farm Compost: A Toolkit of Resources for Farm Compost Operators
A project of the Northeast Recycling Council (NERC).
- Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources
- Field Guide to Compost Use
- U.S. Composting Council (USCC) Seal of Testing Assurance Program
Organics & Food Materials
- Massachusetts Organics Study & Action Plan, January 2016
- Food Waste Composting Fact Sheet, July 2015
- Report: On-Site Systems for Processing Food Waste, April 2013 file size 1MB
file size 1MBSubmitted to MassDEP by Northeastern University students.
- Food is Not Trash: Redefining Wellesley's Waste Culture by Composting file size 3MBReport prepared by Wellesley College Environmental Studies 300 students, Spring 2013.
- Reducing Food Waste: A How to Guide for Businesses & Institutions, June 2013
- Trimming the Fat: Cutting Costs by Reducing Food Waste
Practical tips for restaurants, supermarkets, commercial food processors and other organizations.
- Supermarket Recycling in Massachusetts
Recycling and composting organics and other waste materials is good for both the environment and a grocery store's bottom line.
- Study: Identification, Characterization & Mapping of Food Waste & Food Waste Generators in Massachusetts, September 2002
- Summary Analysis: Massachusetts Commercial / Institutional Food Waste Generation Data
- Food Waste Generators in Massachusetts file size 1MB file size 1MB
- Massachusetts Food Waste Generator Map file size 1MB
- List of Massachusetts Sites Accepting Diverted Food Waste Material, October 2015
These facilities can help businesses and institutions comply with the ban on disposal of commercial organics by accepting their food wastes.
- Map Showing Massachusetts Sites Accepting Diverted Food Waste Material, September 2014
- RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts Food Waste Page
- Cambridge Business Food Materials Composting Program
- Biodegradable Products Institute
Learn about certified compostable products available to commercial and institutional food service providers.
Organics Recycling Summit
- MassRecycle R3 Recycling & Organics Conference & Trade Show
The Organics Recycling Summit is now part of this annual gathering attended by more than 400 recycling and organics experts, enthusiasts and decision makers.
- Past Organics Recycling Summits
2012: RE-THINK Waste for a Sustainable Massachusetts
2011: Advancing Recycling & Organics Management - A Sustainable Future
2010: Local Energy Takes Root
2009: Greening from the Ground Up!
2008: The Changing Climate of Composting
2007: Gaining Ground in Organics Recycling
2006: Growing Opportunities in Organics Recycling
2005: Strategies for Organics Recycling Success
2004: Links in the Food Chain
2003: Mapping the Progress
- Organics Recycling Trends in the U.S. & Internationally, Nora Goldstein, Biocycle Magazine file size 1MB
- Presentation: Cape Cod Stop & Shop & Watts Family Farms Projects
- Cape Cod Stop & Shop Composting Project
- Watts Family Farms Composting Project
- Northampton & Amherst Restaurant & School Composting Project
- Recycle Anyway Group Services (RAGS)/Roche Brothers/WasteCap Story