Composting at Home
- Home Composting Tips: A Guide to Composting Yard & Food Waste
Backyard composting tips for consumers.
- Home Composters Workshops & Demonstrations
Information about home-composting workshops in Massachusetts.
- Don't Trash Grass
Lawn mowing techniques, fertilizer selection and application, watering methods, and alternatives to grass disposal.
- Get a Low-Cost, Rodent-Resistant Compost Bin
MassDEP has made home composting bins available to cities and towns each year through its recycling equipment grant program.
- Poster: Composting is Easy
- Teaching Residents About Composting: Outline & Talking Points
- Vermicomposting: Indoor Composting with Worms
Information for consumers about indoor composting with earthworms.
- Open Burning: Answers to Your Burning Questions
There are limits on what can be burned and when in Massachusetts, as well as important public health and safety requirements.
Sustainable Lawn & Garden Practices
- MassDEP Workshops: Healthy Lawns & Landscapes
Learn how to have a beautiful yard without using chemicals that may harm children, pets, or the environment.
- Christmas Tree Recycling
Simple steps you can take during the holiday season to help the environment, from buying buy a live tree that you can replant to recycling your cut tree.
- How to Control Fruit Flies & Fungus Gnats
Fruit flies and fungus gnats are the most common flying insects found in and around compost bins.
- Lawns & Landscapes In Your Watershed
Design and care for your landscape, while protecting the health of your family and protecting water resources in your watershed.
- Lead Contamination in Your Yard
Lead poisoning is one of the top environmental health threats to children. Learn how to protect them from exposure.
- Reduced Pesticide Use in Lawn Care