Recycling and composting organics and other waste materials is good both for the environment and for business. It not helps grocery stores both save money and improve their compliance with Massachusetts waste disposal bans (rules that prohibit disposal of certain materials that can easily be recycled). MassDEP developed this page to help supermarkets establish and grow sustainable recycling programs.
Supermarket Recycling Program Certification
As of April 2016, MassDEP is phasing out Supermarket Recycling Program Certification (SRPC). The agency no longer grants or renews certificates for this program, but will honor the SRPC status of currently participating supermarkets through the end of their certification periods. MassDEP continues to provide assistance to supermarkets through the RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts program. For more information or to request help, call 1-888-254-5525 or email email@example.com.
Recycling & Reuse Assistance for Supermarkets
- Supermarket Composting Handbook file size 1MB
- RecyclingWorks: Organics Haulers & Recycling Facilities for Supermarkets
- Organics & Food Materials
- Donation & Reuse
Options for donating electronics, construction materials, office equipment and household items.
- Commercial, Institutional & Agricultural Composting & Organics
Information about agricultural, commercial and municipal compost sites, food material management, the annual Organics Recycling Summit, more.
- Assistance for Businesses
Tools for expanding commercial and office recycling, options for donating and recycling surplus equipment and furniture, and information about operating recycling and composting businesses.
Background Information & News
- Memoranda of Understanding Between MassDEP & Massachusetts Food Association: Targeted Reduction in the Distribution of Grocery Bags, March 2009
- MassDEP Consumer Brochure: Sack the Bag!
- Enhancing Recycling in Supermarkets, August 2005
- Supermarket Organics Recycling Network (SORN): MassDEP Report to EPA, January 2006
- Attachment F: Store Organics Tracking Form
- Attachment G: Store/Chain Annualized Organics Recycling Tonnage, 2003-2004