Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this Registration and/or Permit Transfer Form?
The Transfer Form is a request for a complete or partial transfer of the right to withdraw water that was provided through the issuance of a Water Management Act Program registration or permit. Statutory and regulatory authority for the registration or permit is stated at MGL Chapter 21G and at 310 CMR 36.09 for registrations and 36.36 for permits. Registrations or permits may be transferred. MassDEP should be notified thirty (30) days prior to the actual transfer date. Registration transfers for cranberry cultivation can only be for this continued use.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this transfer of water withdrawal?
Some permit transfers will also constitute permit amendments. The BRP WM01 Transfer Form and BRP WM02 Amendment Application can be submitted concurrently. These instructions are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee? What is the Annual Compliance Fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What are the timelines for processing of the Form?
MassDEP is allowed thirty (30) days for a review of administrative completeness, and another sixty (60) days for a technical review. Should a second technical review be required, DEP is allowed an additional thirty (30) days. No public comment period is required for the Transfer Form.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Complete a Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment and answer all questions provided in the Transfer Form and file both with MassDEP at least thirty (30) days before the effective date of the transfer.
- The Transmittal Form and fee must be sent to the address cited in (d) below and a copy of the Transmittal Form and Transfer Form must be sent to the appropriate Regional Office. Find Your Region
- Ensure that the holder of the registration and/or permit and the proposed recipient both sign a statement requesting the transfer or sign the appropriate lines in the Transfer Form.
- Submit the application fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to:
Department of Environmental Protection
PO Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Submit one copy of the DEP Transmittal Form and Transfer Form to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office where the water withdrawal point(s) is located, to the attention of the Water Management Act Program.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.