Permit Fact Sheet
- Who may apply for a WMAP permit amendment?
Only a Water Management Act Program permit holder or authorized designee.
- What proposed changes to an existing WMAP permit constitute a permit amendment?
- Decreasing authorized permit volumes,
- Changing the location of one or more withdrawal points,
- Adding one or more withdrawal points,
- Changing the use of the water,
- Changing any permit conditions,
- Changing the location of discharge point(s).
- What additional forms are required to be submitted with a Permit Amendment Form?
Required forms are outlined in the permit amendment form and can be found on MassDEP's Website.
- What are the timelines for review of the submitted amendment form?
Barring an incomplete submittal, MassDEP will complete an administrative review within 30 days of receipt of the amendment application, and a technical review within 45 days. A second technical review, if necessary, allows an additional 45 day review period. There is no public comment period requirement.
- Does the amended permit's annual compliance fee change?
No. Annual compliance fees are on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- How long is the permit amendment in effect?
The permit amendment is in effect for the life of the permit.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this permit amendment?
For new sources of supply, public water suppliers may require a Source Approval Process submittal. A request for a change of discharge point(s) may involve amending a (as applicable): a NPDES Permit; an Inter basin Transfer Act approval from the Water Resources Commission if water is withdrawn and discharged across river basin boundaries: Permit amendments may require MEPA review. Please review MEPA 301 CMR 11.00 to determine if the proposed project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds. For more information, contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs, 100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202 at 617-727- 5830.
MassDEP cannot complete a technical review of the permit application until the MEPA process has been concluded. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate MassDEP regional office MEPA Coordinator. Find Your Region
A WMAP Permit Amendment Form should be filed at the same time or immediately after other approvals have been obtained. Please contact MassDEP WMAP regional staff for advice on filing.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.