1. Instructions: BRP WP 55,71,74 doc format of    BRP WP 55/71/74 Instructions

  2. Form: BRP WP 55,71,74 doc format of    BRP WP 55/71/74 Sewer System Connection  pdf format of BRP WP 55/71/74 Sewer System Connection

  3. Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment

Permit Fact Sheet 

  1. What is the purpose of these permits?

    BRP WP 71 consists of the approval of sewer extensions or extensions equal to or greater than 1000 feet associated with the transport of sewage.

    BRP WP 74 consists of the approval of sewer connections for discharges of greater than 50,000 gpd of sewage which are not included in industrial wastewater categories.

    BRP WP 55 consists of the approval of sewer connections associated with the transport of industrial wastewater for discharges of greater than 50,000 gpd, but not including those industrial wastewaters required to obtain discharge permits under the applicable categories specified in 314 CMR 7.17(2)(c).

    These permits serves to protect the public health, welfare and the environment through the control of new pump stations and sewage into sewer systems. This assures that sewers and facilities already near or over capacity will not be further burdened. Statutory authority for these permits is stated in MGL Chapter 21, Section 43. Regulatory authority for this permit is stated in 314 CMR 7.00.
  2. Who must apply?

    Under category BRP WP 71: sewage discharges where extension of the sewer is equal to or greater than 1,000 feet.
    Under category BRP WP 74: sewage connections where the flows to the sewer are greater than 50,000 gpd with no industrial flow.
    Under category BRP WP 55: sewage connections for industrial wastewater for discharges greater than 50,000 gpd, for those categories not listed in 314 CMR 7.17 (2)(c).
  3. What other requirements should be considered when applying for these permits?

    What prerequisites should be considered before applying for these permits?
    Municipal approval - The municipal official for the community in which the above connection is being proposed needs to sign off on the MassDEP application. 

    Note: Permits of this type may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations, to determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information
    contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Suite 900Boston, MA 02202; 617-626-1020). MassDEP cannot complete technical review of the permit application
    until the MEPA process has been concluded. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate program offices in Boston and the MEPA Coordinator
    in the appropriate Regional Office. Find Your Region

    Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not
    necessarily include all additional requirements.
  4. What is the application fee?

    See  Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule pdf format of    Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule  .

  5. What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?

    Department of Environmental Protection
    __________* Regional Office
    Bureau of Resource Protection

    Find Your Region
  6. Where can I get a copy of the timelines?

    Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule pdf format of    Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule

  7. What is the annual compliance fee?

    There are no annual compliance assurance fees for categories BRP WP 71, 74, and 55.
  8. How long are these permits in effect?

    For BRP WP 71, 74, and 55, the permit remains in effect indefinitely, as long as the total flow stated in the permit is not exceeded.
  9. How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for these permits?

    a. Answer all questions on the application form for the permit category and indicate "not applicable" where appropriate.
    b. Make sure a Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer prepares and signs the application and provides a registered number.
    c. Submit copy of MEPA certification statement if required.
    d. Include signature from the appropriate Local Municipal Official.
    e. Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.

    If you have questions about this program and permit categories, please contact the Section Chief in the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office.4062, Boston, MA 02211. Find Your Region
  10. What are the regulations that apply to these permits? Where can I get copies?

    These regulations include, but are not limited to:
    a. Water Pollution Control Regulations, 314 CMR 7.00.
    b. Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
    c. Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.
    d. Operation and Maintenance Standards for Wastewater Treatment Plants 314 CMR 12.00.
    e. See insert A.

    These may be purchased online, in person, or by Mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore

    Facilities requiring Permits or Approvals under categories BRP WP72, unless exempted by 314 CMR 7.05:

    1. Restaurants
    2. Educational Facilities (without labs or shop)
    3. Hotels
    4. Motels
    5. Warehouses
    6. Condominiums
    7. Homes and Apartments
    8. Nursing Homes 
    9. Residential Subdivisions
    10. Shopping Malls
    11. Resorts
    12. General Commercial Establishments
    13. Prisons (without Shops)
    14. Offices and Office Parks

    Facilities Requiring Permits or Approvals under Category BRP WP 55:

    1. Educational Facilities with Labs and/or Shops
    2. Funeral Homes
    3. Car Washes
    4. Beauty Parlors
    5. Gas Stations
    6. Commercial Coin Operated Laundromats
    7. Marina Pumpout Facilities 
    8. Water Treatment Plant Discharges
    9. Contact Cooling Water Discharges
    10. Medical Office Buildings
    11. Dental Offices

    For any non-domestic waste not listed, please contact the sewer connection/extension permitting program at the
    appropriate regional office.Find Your Region