Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
The approval is necessary to ensure that the disposal of sanitary sewage through the use of an on-site subsurface sewage disposal system is performed in an environmentally acceptable manner and in accordance with the provisions of Title 5 of the Environmental Code, 310 CMR 15.000.You must obtain approval from MassDEP for this activity:
Installation and use of a shared system (310 CMR 15.293).
- Who must apply?
Any State or Federal facility or individual, business or organization specifically required by MassDEP, proposing to use a shared system is required to obtain prior written approval from MassDEP in accordance with 310 CMR 15.293.
If this category does not apply to you, please be advised this is not the only permit categories for Title 5 on-site sewage disposal systems or related plans. Please consult the Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00 and Title 5 of the Environmental Code, 310 CMR 15.000 to determine whether another category may apply to you.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying?
Shared systems require prior written approval by the local approving authority (310 CMR 15.293).
Note: The additional requirements noted here are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. They do not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection (2 copies)
__________* Regional Office
Title 5 Permitting Program
* Find Your Region
There are no Reserve Copy Locations for these permits.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee.
- How long is the shared system approval in effect?
BRP WP 58b approvals remain valid as long as the system and facility served remain unchanged or until MassDEP revokes or modifies the approval.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Review application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- Make sure copies of plans and specifications are complete and signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Sanitarian or Professional Engineer, whichever is appropriate.
- Attach a copy of the shared system approval from the local approving authority.
- Submit fee and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to:
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000.
- Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.