Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this variance?
This is necessary to ensure that the disposal of sanitary sewage utilizing a variance from the design flow for schools and/or for increased flow to a large system for a school under Title 5 of the Environmental Code, 310 CMR 15.000, will maintain a level of environmental protection that is at least equivalent to 310 CMR 15.000 without strict application of the specific provision of 310 CMR 15.000 from which the variance is sought. The purpose of Title 5 is to provide for the protection of public health, safety, welfare and the environment by requiring the proper siting construction, upgrade, and maintenance of on-site sewage disposal systems and appropriate means for the transport and disposal of septage.
You must obtain approval from MassDEP for flow variances from Title 5 for schools pursuant to 310 CMR 15.416.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, business or organization owning or operating an elementary, middle or secondary school and proposing a variance to 310 CMR 15.203(5) or 15.006 pursuant to 310 CMR 15.416.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this variance?
Other variances are granted by the local approving authority and/or MassDEP pursuant to 310 CMR 15.000. Consult the guidance for other variances under BRP WP 59b and BRP WP 59c. These other variances are not included in this category.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. They do not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection (2 copies)
__________* Regional Office
Title 5 Program
* Find Your Region
There is no Reserve Copy Location for this variance.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for this category.
- How long is this variance in effect?
This variance remain valid as long as the system and facility served remain unchanged or until MassDEP revokes or modifies the variance.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this variance?
- Review application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- Make sure two copies of plans and specifications are complete and signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Sanitarian or Professional Engineer, whichever is appropriate.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this variance? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000.
- Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.