Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of these approvals?
The purpose of these approvals is to ensure that alternative Title 5 technologies, which have substitute or alternative components for one or more elements of a conventional on-site system, can provide the same or a higher degree of environmental and public health protection as a conventional system.
BRP WP 61a establishes an approval process for MassDEP review of alternative technologies proposed for remedial use. Remedial Use is intended to demonstrate that the alternative technology is likely to improve conditions at an existing facility served by a conventional system that has failed, is in the process of failing, or does not meet state standards.
BRP WP 61b establishes a three-tiered approval process for MassDEP review of alternative technologies as follows:
- Piloting is intended to demonstrate that the technology proposed is likely to provide a level of environmental protection at least equal to that of a system designed and built in accordance with Title 5.
- Provisional Approval is intended to evaluate alternative technologies that appear technically capable of providing levels of protection at least equivalent to those of standard on-site disposal systems. This approval will also determine whether, under actual field conditions, unrestricted use of the alternative technology will provide such protection, and whether any additional conditions addressing long-term operation and maintenance and monitoring considerations are necessary to ensure that such protection will be provided.
- Certification for General Use is intended to facilitate the use, under appropriate conditions, of alternative technologies that have demonstrated levels of environmental protection at least equivalent to those of standard on-site systems.
BRP WP 75b establishes a renewal process for existing approvals or certifications that contain an expiration date.
- Who must apply?
For BRP WP 61a and BRP WP 61b:
Developers of alternative technologies seeking approval for use of a technology that will treat and discharge to the ground sanitary wastewater up to 10,000 gallons per day.
If this category does not apply to you, please be advised this is not the only category for discharges to the ground. Please consult regulations 310 CMR 4.00 and the Water Pollution Control Regulations (314 CMR 1.00 - 12.00), to determine whether another category may apply to you.
For BRP WP 75a
Developers of alternative technologies that have a MassDEP Title 5 approval or certification, and who wish to have the approval or certification modified.
For BRP WP 75b
Developers of alternative technologies that have a MassDEP Title 5 approval or certification with an expiration date, and who wish to have the approval or certification renewed. The renewal application must be submitted at least 180 days prior to the expiration date of the existing approval or certification.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Resource Protection
Wastewater Management Program
One Winter Street. 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
There is no Reserve Copy Location for these permits.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for these approvals.
- How long are the approvals in effect?
These approvals are generally in effect for five years.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for these approvals?
Review the application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- What are the regulations that apply to these approvals? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000;
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Learn more on our .