Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
These approvals are necessary to ensure that the treatment and disposal of sanitary sewage through the use of an on-site subsurface sewage disposal system is performed in an environmentally acceptable manner and in accordance with the provisions of Title 5 of the Environmental Code, 310 CMR 15.000.
BRP WP 64a establishes a process for MassDEP review of proposed installation of tight tanks for site-specific use. Tight tanks are used only to eliminate a failed on-site system when there is no other feasible alternative to upgrade the system in accordance with Title 5 and a sewer connection is not feasible.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, business or organization desiring to install a tight tank in accordance with 310 CMR 15.260 and 310 CMR 15.000.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection (2 copies)
__________* Regional Office
Title 5 Permitting Program
* Find Your Region
There are no Reserve Copy Locations for these permits.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for these permits.
- How long is this approval in effect?
These approvals remain valid as long as the system and facility served remain unchanged.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Review application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- Make sure two (2) copies of plans and specifications are complete and signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Sanitarian or Professional Engineer, whichever is appropriate.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000.
- Timely Schedule Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.