Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
This approval is necessary to ensure that the disposal of sanitary sewage through the use of a subsurface sewage disposal system is performed in an environmentally acceptable manner and in accordance with the provisions of Title 5 of the Environmental Code, 310 CMR 15.000.
For a single-family dwelling designed in accordance with the provisions of 310 CMR 15.229(1) and (2), approval for pumping sewage prior to the septic tank is required only from the local approving authority; no MassDEP approval is required for such systems. However, in accordance with 310 CMR 15.229(3), all other types of facilities need MassDEP approval. MassDEP is the local approving authority for state and federal facilities, and reviews applications for pumping sewage prior to septic tanks at these facilities under another permit, BRP WP 63.
Any individual, business or organization proposing to pump sewage prior to its entrance to a septic tank as part of a Title 5 disposal system pursuant to 310 CMR 15.229(3), but excluding systems designed and approved pursuant to 310 CMR 15.229(1) and (2).
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
Only approval from the local approving authority is required for pumping sewage prior to septic tanks for a single family dwelling designed in accordance with the provisions of 310 CMR 15.229(1) and (2). No MassDEP approval is required for such systems.
MassDEP is the local approving authority for state and federal facilities. All approvals for pumping sewage prior to a septic tank for state and federal facilities are reviewed under another permit: BRP WP 63.
Note: This information on additional requirements is intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. Other requirements may also apply.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection (2 copies)
__________* Regional Office
Title 5 Permitting Program
* Find Your Region
There are no Reserve Copy Locations for these permits.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for this category.
- How long is this approval in effect?
This approval remains valid as long as the system and facility served remain unchanged or until MassDEP revokes or modifies the approval.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Review application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- Make sure two (2) copies of plans and specifications are complete and signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Sanitarian or Professional Engineer, whichever is appropriate.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000.
- Timely Schedule Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.