Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
This approval is necessary to allow for a determination of an alternative Title 5 design flow (BRP WP 70) or for the discharge of small quantities of non-sanitary wastewater to Title 5 systems (BRP WP 70a). The purpose of Title 5 is to provide for the protection of public health, safety, welfare and the environment by requiring the proper siting construction, upgrade, and maintenance of on-site sewage disposal systems and appropriate means for the transport and disposal of septage.
You must obtain approval from MassDEP for the use of an alternative Title 5 design flow pursuant to 310 CMR 15.203(6) and for the discharge of non sanitary wastewater discharges to Title 5 systems pursuant to 310 CMR 15.004(4).).
Please be advised that the purpose of the BRPWP70 Alternative Design Flow in accordance with 310 CMR 15.203(6) is solely for the design of a septic system not for the expansion of a facility, the determination of available capacity in an existing system, or the issuance of an occupancy permit for vacant space in a commercial building. These determinations are made by the Local Approving Authority.
- Who must apply?
- Any individual, business or organization proposing the use of an alternative Title 5 design flow pursuant to 310 CMR 15.203(6)
- Any individual, business or organization proposing to discharge non sanitary wastewater to a Title 5 system.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
Check with the local approving authority for any local by laws, which may address this proposed use.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. They do not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection (2 copies)
1 Winter Street, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Title 5 Program
There is no Reserve Copy Location for this approval.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for this category.
- How long is this approval in effect?
This approval will remain valid as long as the system and facility served remain unchanged or until MassDEP revokes or modifies the approval.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Review application for completeness to be sure all questions are answered correctly.
- Make sure two copies of all data submitted for wastewater flows, loadings and constituents for the proposed facility, and any flow data submitted from similar facilities are complete and signed and stamped by a Massachusetts Registered Sanitarian or Professional Engineer..
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Title 5 Regulations, 310 CMR 15.000.