Permit Application Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this report approval?
This report approval is a prerequisite for the issuance of a permit to discharge treated sanitary wastewater in excess of 10,000 gallons per day (gpd) or to discharge treated wastewaters otherwise subject to a groundwater discharge permit. This report approval serves to protect the public health, welfare, and the environment through the control of these discharges onto or into the ground. If, following this report approval, the permittee intends to apply for either an Individual or General Groundwater Discharge Permit, the approved report will be a part of the permit application submittal.
Statutory authority for this permit is stated in MGL Chapter 21 Section 43. Regulatory authority for these permits is stated in 314 CMR 5.00.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, business, or organization required to obtain a groundwater discharge permit is subject to the approval of a scope of work and hydrogeologic evaluation pursuant to MGL c. 21, s. 43 and 314 CMR 5.00 (unless exempted in 314 CMR 5.05).
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for these report approvals?
The applicant must show evidence that a public notice has been placed in the Environmental Monitor stating that a scope of work has been prepared and has been submitted to MassDEP. Additionally, if the site is located within the Zone II or Interim Wellhead Protection Area (IWPA) of a ground water source of potable water for a public water system, the applicant must show evidence that the public water system has been notified in writing by certified mail when the scope of work and the Hydrogeologic Evaluation Report have been submitted to MassDEP.
- Where should the application be sent?
The application form with an original signature in ink should be sent to the Wastewater Management Program at the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (Primary Permit Location). Find Your Region
A copy of the application should be sent to the MassDEP Boston Office (Reserve Copy Location) at:
Department of Environmental Protection
Wastewater Management Program
1 Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
A copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form and the Fee for the application should be sent to:
Department of Environmental Protection
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
Current Annual Compliance Fees can be found on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- How long is this report approval in effect?
There is no fixed time limit when this approval would expire. However, at the time of submission of a groundwater permit application for an Individual Permit or a Notice of Intent for General Permit coverage, the permittee must certify whether the conditions upon which the approval was based have changed. If the answer is that conditions have changed, then an additional technical evaluation may be required to determine if the existing approval should remain in force or an amended approval is necessary.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this report approval?
- Answer all questions on the application form and indicate "not applicable" (N/A) where appropriate. One copy of all application forms must have an original signature in ink.
- Applications for BRP WP 83 must include:
- Copy of the approved scope of work.
- Copy of the public notice from the Environmental Monitor that the scope of work has been submitted.
- If the proposed site is within a Zone II or Interim Wellhead Protection Area, a copy of the notice to the public water system notifying them that a scope of work and, when appropriate, that the Hydrogeologic Report has been submitted to the Department.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, PO Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to these report approvals? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Groundwater Discharge Regulations, 314 CMR 5.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.