1. Instructions: BRP WP 91, 92 doc format of BRP WP 91, 92 Instructions
pdf format of                             BRP WP 91, 92 - Permit for Industrial Sewer User

  2. Form: BRP WP 91, 92 doc format of BRP WP 91, 92 Form
pdf format of                             BRP WP 91, 92 - Permit for Industrial Sewer User

  3. Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment

Permit Fact Sheet

  1. What is the purpose of these permits?

    BRP WP 91 covers Special Sewer Connection Permit for Industrial Sewer User other than BRP WP 92. This permit is only determined by MassDEP.

    BRP WP 92 covers specific industrial facilities with sewer connections for discharging greater than 25,000 gpd to Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) (also known as sewage treatment plants) without Industrial Pretreatment Programs (IPP). IPPs are industrial sewer discharge permit programs operated by POTWs as required by their federally-issued National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. The Standard Industrial Classification Codes (SIC Codes) for the industrial facilities that are covered by BRP WP 92 are listed in Appendix A.

    These permits serve to protect the public health, welfare, and environment, as well as the safety of workers in the POTW. They also assure prevention of pollutants passing through or interfering in the operation of the treatment works, through the control of industrial discharges into the sewer systems. Lastly, these permits assure that sewers, pump stations, and POTWs already near or over capacity will not be further burdened.

    The regulations contained in 314 CMR 7.00 address sewer connection and extension permits. The regulations contained in 314 CMR 12.00 provide for the authorization to construct and operate a wastewater treatment facilities.

    The final permit that will be sent by MassDEP becomes the authorization to construct a proposed pretreatment system. Legislative authority is stated in MGL Chapter 21, sections 26 - 53, the Massachusetts Clean Waters Act.
  2. Who must apply?

    If your facility is classified under the SIC Codes listed in Appendix A and discharges more than 25,000 gallons per day to a Non-IPP-POTW, then you are covered by this permit (specifically category BRP WP 92).
  3. What must I know before starting to complete my permit application?
    1. a. Your discharge permit may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine the requirements in 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations. To determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202; (617-727-5830) or the MEPA Website. If your project exceeds the applicable MEPA review thresholds, then you must obtain your MEPA Certificate BEFORE you submit this application.
    2. If your facility is subject to the Massachusetts Historical Commission regulations, you must comply with Massachusetts Historical Commission requirements BEFORE you submit this application.
    3. c. You must check to see if you require a discharge permit from your POTW and local sewer authority. If your POTW/local authority does not have a permit program, then you must ask for written approval from them to ensure that your industrial wastewater discharge to their POTW or sewer system is acceptable.
  4. When must I apply for a permit?
    1. For any construction of a sewer connection or industrial wastewater pretreatment system (IWPS) you must apply for your permit 90 days prior to construction and make sure that your sewer connection and IWPS is constructed or will be constructed in conformance with the engineering plans reviewed, stamped, and signed by a Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer (MAPE).
    2. For permit renewals, you must submit the application 90 days prior to your permit expiration. Permit BRP WP 92 is not required for renewal if you comply with 314 CMR 7.05 (1) h.
    3. For facilities new to this permit program with no new construction activity, you must apply for the discharge permit 90 days prior discharging.
  5. How do I transfer a permit to a new owner?

    To transfer an industrial wastewater sewer connection permit, the current permit holder must notify MassDEP at least 30 days in advance of the proposed transfer date (see 314 CMR 7.13). The notice must include a written agreement between the existing and proposed new permit holders containing a specific date to transfer permit responsibilities and liability to the new permit holder.
  6. Permit Application Fees

      Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule  pdf format of Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
  7. Where will the permits be located?

    For BRPWP91: The application form with an original signature in ink should be sent to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (Primary Permit Location). Find Your Region
    For BRPWP92: The application form with an original signature in ink should be sent to the DEP Boston Office (Primary Permit Location):

    Department of Environmental Protection
    Wastewater Management Program
    1 Winter Street, 5th floor
    Boston, MA 02108

    A copy of the application (BRPWP92) should be sent to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (Reserve Copy Location): Find Your Region

    A copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form and the fee for the application (BRPWP91 & 92) should be sent to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    P.O. Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

  8. What are the timelines?

      Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule  pdf format of Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule

    RCRA facilities will need to have 45-day public comment period. All other aspects of the timeline are the same as described in the above schedule, except for the extended public comment period.
  9. How long are these permits in effect?

    Permits BRP WP 91 and BRP WP 92 are valid for 5 years, unless revoked for cause by MassDEP. Permits BRPWP92 are exempted for renewal if the permittee complies with 314 CMR 7.05 (1)(h).
  10. How can I avoid the most common mistakes in applying for these permits?
    1. Make sure to answer all questions on the application form, unless you are directed to skip a question. Please DO NOT answer questions that you are directed to skip.
    2. Make sure a legally responsible official signs the application.
    3. Submit all required reports with sufficient detail and description.
    4. Submit permit application fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: MassDEP, P.O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
  11. What is the annual compliance fee?

    There are no annual compliance fees for BRP WP 91 and BRP WP 92.
  12. What regulations determine the requirements in these permits?

    These regulations include, but are not limited to:
    1. Water Pollution Control Regulations, 314 CMR 7.00 and 314 CMR 12.00.
    2. Wastewater Treatment Operator Certification Regulations, 257 CMR 2.00.
    3. Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
  13. Where can I get copies of the regulations?

    These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore .


Related Forms