Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of these approvals?
These approvals serve to protect the health and welfare of the public through the control of any product or operation that comes into contact with public drinking water. These products and operations must be controlled to prevent contaminants from leaking into the drinking water as well as to ensure that the products and operations work as designed. Apply in category BRP WS 11 if no field test is required (minor new technology approval). Apply in category BRP WS 12 if a field test is required (major new technology approval). Regulatory authority for these approvals is stated in 310 CMR 22.04(6), of the Drinking Water Regulations.
- Who must apply?
Public water suppliers, manufacturers, or their representatives must apply if they want approval to use a product or operation that will come into contact with a public water supply. These products include, but are not limited to, drinking water additives, filtration devices, coatings, pipes, tanks, vending machines, and backflow prevention devices.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for these approvals?
If water suppliers or their representatives apply for one of these approvals as part of a facility modification it may also be necessary for them to apply for other MassDEP water treatment permits, e.g. BRP WS 21, 22, 23, 24 or 25.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
PRIMARY PERMIT LOCATION:
Department of Environmental Protection
1 Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
RESERVE COPY LOCATION:
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for either of these approvals.
- How long are these approvals in effect?
These approvals are in effect as long as the applicant remains in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and MassDEP determines that the product or operations continue to protect the public health and welfare.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for these approvals?
- Fill in all information on the MassDEP Application Form BRP WS 06-31.
- Attach all information requested on the Application Completeness Checklist.
- Send application and one copy from the MassDEP Transmittal Form to Department of Environmental Protection, Water Supply, 1 Winter Street, Boston, MA 02108.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to these approvals? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.
These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore .