Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
This is an approval relative to evaluating the water resource potential of a particular site. The necessary components of a site approval request, the subsequent site exam and pumping test proposal are described in the Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems . The Drinking Water Regulations govern all aspects of the source development process.
The reason sites are evaluated and approved or disapproved at this point is to identify any circumstances which might negate the possibility of using the site. This assists the applicant in avoiding the potentially unnecessary expenses associated with the next costly step, which is the pumping test. For example: the inability to own the Zone I; extremely poor water quality, historical spills or leaks of hazardous materials; and, extensive development of the preliminary conceptual Zone II (if applicable), are all issues that could influence the approval of the site for development as a drinking water source
Approval of a pumping test proposal is granted after MassDEP has determined that the hydrologic and water quality information, necessary to approve the source, will be generated before, during and after the pumping test.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, company, municipality or district intending to develop a public source of water supply serving 15 service connections or 25 individuals at least 60 days per year.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
- A Request for Determination of Applicability (Form No. 1-310 CMR 10.99) as required under the Wetland Protection Act MGL c. 131 s. 40 and the regulations at 310 CMR 10.00 must be filed with the local conservation commission if work is proposed within 100 feet of a wetland.
- The site examination and sanitary land use survey precede the review and approval to conduct a pumping test.
- Before applying for this approval consideration should be given to the ability to own the Zone I; and
- How surrounding development and history may influence water quality and how the site lends itself to development.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where should this application be submitted?
Submit: a) completed original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application (Do not include payment); b) the completed BRP WS Application form; and, c) one hard copy of the required supporting documentation, and (only when specifically requested) one electronic copy of the required supporting documentation in PDF format and submitted on a compact disk or other acceptable media to:
________ Regional Office*
ATTN: Drinking Water Program
* Find Your Region
- Where should I send the fee payment for this application?
Submit the applicable fee payment and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance assurance fee for this approval.
- How long is the approval in effect?
Applicants have five years to complete the Source Approval process.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Be sure all checklist items are complete.
- Review the Drinking Water Regulations 310 CMR 22.21 and the Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems regarding what is evaluated when considering approval of a site. Communicate with the Drinking Water Program concerning materials necessary for an approvable submission.
- Make sure that the BRP WS Application submittal package, including the Application Completeness Checklist, and the original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form is submitted to the appropriate Regional office of MassDEP. Find Your Region
- Submit fee and one copy of the Transmittal Form to MassDEP, PO Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.21.
- The Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- The Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.
- These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore .
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.