Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
This approval is for the pumping test report and the construction of a well. All the requirements of 310 CMR 22.21 and the Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems should be satisfactorily addressed (available in the State House Bookstore). This is the last approval in the Source Approval process. Approval of the pumping test report and approval to construct a source is an indication that all the requirements of the Source Approval process have been addressed satisfactorily.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, company, municipality or district intending to develop a source of public water supply, either publicly or privately owned, serving 15 service connections or 25 individuals at least 60 days per year.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
- Ownership or control of the Zone I must be satisfactorily demonstrated.
- All wetlands issues should be satisfactorily addressed.
- All previous requirements in the Source Approval Process must be met.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee for this approval?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where should this application be submitted?
Submit: a) completed original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application (Do not include payment); b) the completed BRP WS Application form; and, c) one hard copy of the required supporting documentation, and (only when specifically requested) one electronic copy of the required supporting documentation in PDF format and submitted on a compact disk or other acceptable media to:
___________* Regional Office
Attn: Drinking Water Program
* Find Your Region to find the mailing address for the regional office for your town.
- Where should I send the fee payment for this application?
Submit the applicable fee payment and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance assurance fee for this approval.
- How long is this approval valid?
The approval is valid for two years.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Be sure all check list items are complete.
- Review the Drinking Water Regulations 310 CMR 22.21 and the MassDEP, Drinking Water Program’s Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems regarding what is evaluated as part of the Final Source Report and what is evaluated when considering approval to construct a source. Both publications are available at the State House Bookstore. Communicate with MassDEP concerning the materials necessary for an approvable submission.
- Make sure that the BRP WS Application submittal package, including the Application Completeness Checklist, and the original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form is submitted to the appropriate Regional office of MassDEP. Find Your Region.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211. DO NOT submit your BRP WS Application package with your payment.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval and where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- The Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- The Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.