Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
The approval is to continue evaluating the water resource potential of a particular site. The necessary components of a site approval request, the site exam, and the subsequent pumping test, are described in the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP), Drinking Water Program’s Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems (available at the State House Bookstore). The Drinking Water Regulations, in particular 310 CMR 22.21, govern all aspects of the source development process.
Sites are evaluated and approved or disapproved at this point because there are certain circumstances which would negate the possibility of using the site, thereby avoiding the potentially unnecessary expense associated with the pumping test. For example, the inability to own the Zone I; extremely poor water quality; and historical spills or leaks of hazardous materials are all issues that could influence the approval of the site for development. Approval of a pumping test proposal is granted after MassDEP has determined that the hydrologic and water quality information necessary to approve the source will be generated before, during and after the pumping test.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, company, municipality or district intending to develop a public source of water supply serving 15 service connections or 25 individuals at least 60 days per year.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
- Request for Determination of Applicability (Form No. 1-33310 CMR 10.99) should be filed with the local conservation commission if work is proposed within 100 feet of a wetland.
- Before applying for this approval consideration should be given to the ability to own the Zone I; and
- How the surrounding development and history may influence water quality and how the site lends itself to development.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
The fee structure associated with this approval is stated in 310 CMR 4.10(5)(x). See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where should this application be submitted?
Submit: a) completed original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application (Do not include payment); b) the completed BRP WS Application form; and, c) one hard copy of the required supporting documentation, and (only when specifically requested) one electronic copy of the required supporting documentation in PDF format and submitted on a compact disk or other acceptable media to:
_________* Regional Office
ATTN: Drinking Water Program
Find Your Region
- Where should I send the fee payment for this application?
Submit the applicable fee payment and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
Currently, there is no annual compliance assurance fee for this approval.
- How long is this approval in effect?
A Site Exam and Pumping Test Approval is valid for up to two years. Failure to act within two years will require a new application for this permit.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Be sure all check list items are complete.
- Review the Drinking Water Regulations 310 CMR 22.21 and the Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems regarding what is evaluated when considering approval of a site, and what is required for conducting a pumping test. Communicate with the Drinking Water Program concerning the materials necessary for an approvable submission.
- Make sure that the BRP WS Application submittal package, including the Application Completeness Checklist, and the original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form is submitted to the appropriate Regional office of MassDEP. Find Your Region
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211. DO NOT submit your BRP WS Application package with your payment.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.