Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
The approval is to construct a well. All the requirements of 310 CMR 22.21 and the Division of Water Supply's Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems (available in the State House Bookstore) should have been satisfactorily addressed. This is the last approval in the New Source Approval process.
Approval to construct a source is an indication that all the requirements of the New Source Approval process have been addressed satisfactorily.
- Who must apply?
Any individual, company, municipality or district intending to develop a public source of water supply serving 15 service connections or 25 individuals at least 60 days per year.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
- DWS Water Management Act approval application has been filed.
- Prior to final approval, proponent must own or control Zone I.
Note: Approvals of this type may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations, to determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202; 617-727-5830). MassDEP cannot begin technical review of the permit application until the MEPA process has been completed, unless otherwise agreed to in writing. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate program offices in Boston and the MEPA Coordinator in the appropriate Regional Office.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where should this application be submitted?
Submit: a) completed original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application (Do not include payment); b) the completed BRP WS Application form; and, c) one hard copy of the required supporting documentation, and (only when specifically requested) one electronic copy of the required supporting documentation in PDF format and submitted on a compact disk or other acceptable media to:
_________* Regional Office
ATTN: Drinking Water Program
* Find Your Region to find the mailing address for the regional office for your town.
- Where should I send the fee payment for this application?
Submit the applicable fee payment and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for this approval.
- How long is this approval in effect?
The approval is valid for two years.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Be sure all checklist items are complete.
- Review the Drinking Water Regulations 310 CMR 22.21 and the Division of Water Supply's Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems regarding what is evaluated when considering approval to construct a source. Communicate with MassDEP concerning the materials necessary for an approvable submission.
- Make sure that the BRP WS Application submittal package, including the Application Completeness Checklist, and the original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form is submitted to the appropriate Regional office of MassDEP. Find Your Region
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211. DO NOT submit your BRP WS Application package with your payment.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.