Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
This approval serves to protect the public's health and welfare by insuring that minimum drinking water requirements are met in the modification of a drinking water facility. Legislative authority is stated in MGL Chapter 111, section 160A. Regulatory authority is stated in 310 CMR 22.04 of the Drinking Water Regulations.
- Who must apply?
Public water suppliers or their representatives must apply if they want approval for modification of their water treatment facility.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
If the water supplier or their representative apply for this approval it may be necessary to apply for other water treatment approvals BRP WS 23 or BRP WS 24.
Note: Approvals of this type may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations, to determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202; 617-727- 5830). MassDEP cannot begin technical review of the application until the MEPA process has been completed, unless otherwise agreed to in writing. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate program offices in Boston and the MEPA Coordinator in the appropriate Regional Office. Find Your Region
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
PRIMARY PERMIT LOCATION:
Department of Environmental Protection
__________* Regional Office
* Find Your Region
RESERVE COPY LOCATION:
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance fee for this approval.
- How long is this approval in effect?
This approval shall remain in effect for 2 years from the approved date or as otherwise determined by MassDEP, as long as the application continues to meet minimum drinking water standards and conforms to current Division of Water Supply guidelines and policies, described in Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems , and available at the State House Bookstore.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Attach all material as requested on the Application Completeness Checklist.
- Submit fee and one page of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.