Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this permit?
This permit serves to protect the public's health and welfare by insuring that minimum drinking water requirements are met in the chemical addition retrofit of water systems. It consists of an approval for chemical addition retrofit of water systems, that serve 3,300 people or less. Legislative authority is stated in stated in MGL Chapter 111, section 160A. Regulatory authority is stated in 310 CMR 22.04 of the Drinking Water Regulations.
- Who must apply?
Public water suppliers or their representatives who want approval for the chemical addition retrofit of their water system.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this permit?
If the water supplier or their representatives apply for this permit it may also be necessary for them to apply for other MassDEP water treatment permits, e.g. BRP WS 23 or BRP WS 24. Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection
* Find Your Region
Reserve Copy Location:
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance assurance fee for this permit.
- How long is this permit in effect?
This permit is in effect as long as the applicant remains in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and the Department determines that the product or operations continue to protect the public health and welfare.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this permit?
- Fill in all information on the MassDEP Application Form BRP WS Application.
- Attach all information requested on the Application Completeness Checklist.
- Send application and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to MassDEP Regional Office, Water Supply.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P. O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this permit? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00
- Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.