Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this permit?
This permit serves to protect the public's health and welfare through the control of any product or operation that comes into contact with public drinking water. These products and operations must be controlled to prevent contaminants from leaking into the drinking water as well as to ensure that the products and operations work as designed. This permit consists of an approval for the installation of one type of MassDEP approved vending machine or point-of-use (POU) treatment device or point-of-entry (POE) treatment device at 10 or more locations on the same distribution system. Legislative authority for this permit is stated in MGL Chapter 111, Section 160A. The Regulatory authority for this permit is stated in 310 CMR 22.04 and 310 CMR 22.23 of the Drinking Water Regulations.
- Who must apply?
Public Water Systems (PWS), facility owners, manufacturers or their designated representatives seeking approval for the installation of one type of vending Machine or POU/POE treatment device at 10 or more locations on the same distribution system. If less than 10 vending machines or POU/POE devices are to be installed on a distribution system, see application BRP WS30. POE devices that are installed solely to enhance the aesthetic quality of the drinking water, and meet the minimum requirements detailed in 310 CMR 22.23 (6), are not required to apply for this permit.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this permit?
In addition to this permit, it may also be necessary to apply for other Mass DEP water treatment permits, e.g. BRP WS 09, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, or 34.
Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. They do not necessarily include all additional requirements.
- What is the application fee?
The fee structure associated with this approval is stated in 310 CMR 4.10(5)(ii)(1). See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- Where should this application be submitted?
Submit: a) the completed BRP WS Application form; b) the completed original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment; and c) any required supporting documentation to:
_________ Regional Office*
ATTN: Drinking Water Program
See Find Your Region .
- Where should I send the fee payment for this application?
Submit the applicable fee payment and a copy of the Mass DEP Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
Currently, there is no annual compliance assurance fee for this permit.
- How long is this permit in effect?
This permit is in effect as long as the applicant remains in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and the Mass DEP determines that the product or operations continue to protect the public health and welfare.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this permit?
- Fill in all information on the BRP WS Application form.
- Attach all requested material (with the exception of the permit fee) on the Application Completeness Checklist to the BRP WS Application.
- Make sure that the BRP WS Application submittal package, including the Application and Completeness Checklist, and the original copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form is submitted to the appropriate office of Mass DEP.
- Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Mass DEP, P.O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211. DO NOT submit your BRP WS Application package with your payment.
- What are the regulations that apply to this permit? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.&