Permit Fact Sheet
- What is the purpose of this approval?
The purpose of this permit is to protect public health and welfare by ensuring the proper abandonment of a water source. The process will help eliminate the potential for groundwater contamination via open wells, and will help in maintaining minimum drinking water standards and guidelines associated with the surrounding aquifer.
- Who must apply?
Public water suppliers or their representatives must apply if they want to abandon a drinking water source.
- What other requirements should be considered when applying for this approval?
Refer to Section 4.14 of Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems .
- What is the application fee?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?
Primary Permit Location:
Department of Environmental Protection
__________* Regional Office
Drinking Water Program
* Find Your Region
Reserve Copy Location:
No reserve copy needs to be submitted for this permit category.
- Where can I get a copy of the timelines?
The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- What is the annual compliance fee?
There is no annual compliance assurance fee for this approval.
- How long is this approval in effect?
This approval shall remain in effect for 5 years from the approval date or as otherwise determined by MassDEP.
- How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for this approval?
- Attach all material as requested on the Application Completeness Checklist.
- Submit fee and a copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P.O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
- What are the regulations that apply to this approval? Where can I get copies?
These regulations include, but are not limited to:
- Drinking Water Regulations, 310 CMR 22.00.
- Timely Action and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
- Administrative Penalty Regulations, 310 CMR 5.00.