Payment options: eDEP Online Filing - or - Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment
Permit Fact Sheet
- Who must apply?
Any party who has discharged, or is discharging, to an Unauthorized UIC Class V well as defined in 310 CMR 27.00 must apply. Unauthorized Class V wells include motor vehicle - waste disposal; large capacity cesspools, abandoned wells, and radioactive waste disposal wells. The only Unauthorized UIC Class V well types not requiring UIC Registration are those for which a permit has been obtained from the MassDEP Ground Water Discharge Program. Cesspools receiving only sanitary wastewater that are used by single family homes or non-residential cesspools that have a design capacity of less than 2,000 gallons per day are not required to submit a UIC registration application for closure but are still required not to endanger underground sources of drinking water.
If you are attempting to register a different type of UIC Class V well then see Underground Injection Control Forms to obtain the applicable UIC Registration application form for your well type. Also see UIC Class V Well Category and Well Type Descriptions for descriptions of the various UIC Class V well types.
- May I submit one application for multiple properties?
No. A separate BRP WS 06 UIC Registration application form must be submitted for each facility address. Multiple wells may only be registered under one application if all wells are on the same property. Also, all wells must be in the same municipality (with some limited exceptions).
- What land use types must use this application?
This application form applies to all types of land uses.
- What are the fees?
See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule .
- What are the review timelines?
If MassDEP fails to issue a determination for the registration of the UIC Class V well on an adequately prepared BRP WS-06 application within 48 days of receipt of the application and payment of the application fee, the Department will refund the entire fee and will continue with the review. The same applies if MassDEP fails to issue a determination for the application for pre-closure of a UIC Class V well within 30 days of receipt of the application and payment of the application fee. See Fees & Payments .
- What regulations apply?
Regulations that apply primarily include, but are not limited to:
- Underground Injection Control Program, 310 CMR 27.00.
- These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the
Massachusetts State Bookstore
- What other requirements must be considered?
The closure of UIC Class V wells must comply with the Mass DEP Guidance Document #: BRP/DWM/DW/G04-3, Massachusetts Closure Requirements for Underground Injection Control (UICs) Wells (including shallow injection wells) . Please note that although this document applies to all UIC Class V well closures, it focuses on the closure of motor vehicle-waste disposal wells. Therefore, the sampling requirements listed in those guidelines do not necessarily apply to nonmotor vehicle -waste disposal wells. Sampling requirements for other types of wells depend upon the nature of the discharge and whether any known or suspected contaminants entering the well may have resulted in a reportable release of oil and/or hazardous materials per the Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP) 310 CMR 40.0000 ).
You may only register one UIC Class V "well category" and "well type" combination with each BRP WS06 application. If your residence or facility includes multiple combinations of "well category" and "well type" then you must submit a separate BRP WS06 application with applicable payment transmittal form and fee for each unique combination. The requirement for separate applications applies whether for multiple single use wells or a single well that is used for more than one type of UIC Class V wastewater discharge.
If your application is for the conversion of a well that was not previously registered then you must submit two (2) separate BRP WS06 applications (with 2 separate payment transmittal forms) and pay the fees associated with each registration application. One application must be submitted for the proposed converted new use and one for the closure or partial closure of the unregistered well use.
In addition to the above UIC registration requirements, applicants should consider the need to obtain the following permits or sanctions:
- Wetlands requirements should be checked through the local Conservation Commission.
- Groundwater Discharge Permit Program (314 CMR 5.00).
- A MassDEP Title 5 Permit (310 CMR 15.00).
- Local Board of Health requirements may also apply.
- Local Plumbing Inspector requirements may also apply.
- How do I apply?
To submit an application to MassDEP, follow these steps:
- Complete a Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment . Submit and original signed transmittal form to the MassDEP address shown on the transmittal form. Please note that if you are sending in payment for multiple application forms you must submit a separate transmittal form (each with a unique transmittal number) for each form that is submitted.
- Complete the appropriate Application Form - BRP WS 06 UIC Registration for Pre-Closure of Unauthorized Well. Include all specified information. Use additional sheets if necessary.
- Submit a complete application package including a BRP WS 06 form, a copy of the Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment, and all specified attachments to:
BRP UIC Program
One Winter Street, 5th floor
Boston, MA 02108
Please note that if that the PO box shown on the Transmittal Form for Permit Application and Payment is for the bank that MassDEP uses to deposit permit and registration fees. If you send the entire application package to the PO box rather than the One Winter Street address, the bank will discard everything other than the Payment Transmittal Form and check and you will be required to resubmit your application package to MassDEP.
- Retain a copy of the complete application package for your files.