Permit Fact Sheet
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) approves two types of Asbestos Blanket Notifications on a case-by-case basis:
- An Incidental Maintenance Blanket Notification is designed for facilities that contain significant amount of asbestos containing material and routinely encounter situations where asbestos must be abated immediately without being able to wait for the 10 day advance notification period required by the MassDEP asbestos regulations (310 CMR 7.15). Please note that incidental maintenance projects involving the removal or disturbance of 100 square feet or less of asbestos-containing floor tile and related asbestos-containing mastics and/or 32 square feet or less of asbestos-containing gypsum wallboard and or joint compound are exempt from notification as per amendments of 310 CMR 7.15 that were promulgated on June 20, 2014, but in these cases, specific work practices must be implemented to keep non-friable material from becoming friable.
- A Large Scale Asbestos Abatement Project (LSAAP) is designed for planned abatement projects that involve the removal of significant quantities of asbestos containing materials over an extended period of time and can provide more flexibility in scheduling and sequencing of the work.
Both types of Asbestos Blanket Notifications are renewable annually and issued by the applicable MassDEP region for the calendar year. Find Your Region
How to Submit an Application for an Asbestos Blanket Notification Permit
- Complete the form BWP AQ 05 ASBESTOS BLANKET NOTIFICATION APPLICATION, then take the following steps:
a. Submit the BWP AQ 05 Asbestos Blanket Notification Application and pay the associated fee by sending a copy of the BWP AQ 05 Asbestos Blanket Notification Application and a check or money order made out to the “Commonwealth of Massachusetts” for $200.00 to:
P.O. Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
b. Email or fax the original signed BWP AQ 05 Asbestos Blanket Notification Application to the MassDEP Regional Office for the community where this work will be done, Attention: Asbestos Program. Find Your Region
- If your application is complete, MassDEP will issue an approval or denial within 20 calendar days of the check for the fee clearing the bank (or within 20 days of receiving the application if the project is exempt from the fee). If your application is deficient, MassDEP will notify you of the missing information. If you complete your application within 30 calendar days, MassDEP will issue an approval or denial within 20 calendar days of receiving the additional information.
- If your Blanket Permit is approved, you will receive a Blanket Permit Project Approval number from the MassDEP Regional Office. You will need this number for each Asbestos Notification Form that you will submit for each job conducted under the blanket.
- You will need to submit an ANF 001 form for each job completed under the blanket. ANF 001 forms should be submitted on-line via eDEP, where the $100.00 notification fee can be paid by credit card. ANF 001 forms may also be downloaded from MassDEP’s web site and submitted on paper.
If you submit your ANF 001 form online via eDEP, check the second box on the ANF 001 “pre-form” and enter the Blanket Permit Project Approval number in the associated box. This number will then automatically appear to answer question 4 in Section A of the ANF 001 form. If you submit your ANF 001 form on paper, you will need to enter your Blanket Permit Project Approval number to respond to question 4 in section A of the form.
Each ANF 001 for jobs conducted under a Blanket Notification will need to be accompanied by a $100.00 fee (see instructions for the ANF 001 for information about how to pay).
If you submit your ANF 001 form on paper, please be aware that MassDEP will only review paper forms once the check has cleared. Incomplete forms will be returned to the submitter and the abatement project may not be able to start 10 days after the date on which it was received by MassDEP.
- Timing of ANF 001 submittals for jobs conducted under a Blanket Notification:
- For Incidental Maintenance projects, the ANF 001 must be submitted within 24 hours of the asbestos removal operation.
- For large-scale abatement operations the ANF 001 must be submitted at least three working days (72 hours) PRIOR to commencement of the abatement activities.
Contacting the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP)
For questions about how to complete the AQ 05 Form or how to comply with MassDEP’s requirements for asbestos removal, please contact the Asbestos Program in the MassDEP regional office that covers the municipality where the asbestos work will be performed. The asbestos inspectors are the best source of information about any technical aspects of MassDEP’s requirements for asbestos removal.
MassDEP Staff Lead
|Central||Gregg Levins||Gregory.firstname.lastname@example.org||508-767-2768||508-792-7621||627 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608|
|Northeast||John Macauley||John.email@example.com||978-694-3262||978-694-3499||205B Lowell Street, Wilmington, MA 01887|
|Southeast||Cynthia Baran||Cynthia.firstname.lastname@example.org||508-946-2887||508-947-6557||20 Riverside Drive, Lakeville, MA 02347|
|Western||Marc Simpson||Marc.email@example.com||413-755-2115||413-784-1149||436 Dwight Street, Springfield, MA 01103|
The MassDEP Asbestos & Construction/Demolition Notifications web page links to all relevant asbestos-related regulations, policies, guidance documents and notification forms.