Permit Fact Sheet
MassDEP approves on a case by case basis, two types of Asbestos Blanket Notifications:
• Incidental Maintenance Blanket Notification, is designed for facilities that contain significant amount of asbestos containing material and routinely encounter situations where asbestos must be abated immediately without being able to wait for the 10 day advance notification period required by the MassDEP asbestos regulations (310 CMR 7.15).
• Large Scale Asbestos Abatement Project (LSAAP), is designed for planned abatement projects that involve the removal of significant quantities of asbestos containing materials over an extended period of time and can provide more flexibility in scheduling and sequencing of the work.
Both types of Asbestos Blanket Notifications are renewable annually and issued by the applicable MassDEP region for the calendar year. Find Your Region
- Applicants must complete the form BWP AQ 05 ASBESTOS BLANKET NOTIFICATION APPLICATION and the ANF 001 notification form with the $100.00 decal, and send both forms to the usual post office box in Boston.
- Fee decals may only be purchased in person at the reception area on the second floor of MassDEP’s One Winter Street Boston Office. For fee-exempt construction/demolition jobs, EXEMPT notification decals may be picked up (free of charge) at the reception area of MassDEP's One Winter Street Boston Office or at any regional MassDEP office. For decals requiring a payment, payment must be in the form of a check or money order made payable to “Commonwealth of Massachusetts.” Cash and credit cards cannot be accepted. Each notification decal contains a unique number that is used to track the notification. Forms without decals will not be accepted.
- After the approval has been granted, submit an ANF 001 with the $40.00 Blanket Decal for each job completed under the blanket. For Incidental Maintenance projects the ANF 001 must be submitted within 24 hours of the asbestos removal operation. For large-scale abatement operations the notification must be submitted at least three (3) working days (72 hours) PRIOR to commencement of the abatement activities.
- Send a fax copy to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office within the specified time frames stipulated in Step 2.
If you have any questions or problems in notifying, please contact your MassDEP Regional Office. Find Your Region