Permit Fact Sheet
- Purpose of License
Transporter licensing serves to protect public health, welfare, and the environment through the review of a firm's
qualifications and competence to transport hazardous wastes. License review includes assessment of an
applicant's insurance coverage, driver training program, and emergency response procedures/equipment.
- MassDEP Unit Responsible for License Review
Bureau of Waste Prevention, Business Compliance Division
Hazardous Waste Transporter Program
One Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
- Who Must Apply
Any firm or individual wishing to transport hazardous wastes from hazardous waste generators to authorized
Treatment Storage Disposal Facilities (TSDFs).
- Documentation to Accompany Application
Each application for a license to transport hazardous waste must be accompanied by 14 separate informational
attachments. The required information is described briefly in the application form and in some cases, samples
and/or blank forms for the required information are attached to the application. Applicants are advised to read the
regulations listed to be sure that all the necessary information is included.
- Fees Associated with License
• An application fee is due when the application is submitted. Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
• There is no annual compliance fee.
- License Review Timelines
See: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- Duration of License
The license is issued for up to five (5) years, provided the applicant remains in compliance with appropriate laws and
- What Regulations Apply?
Applicable regulations include, but are not limited to:
• Hazardous Waste Regulations, 310 CMR 30.00 (in particular sections 30.010, 30.400 & 30.800)
• Timely Action and Fee Schedule Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore.