Permit Fact Sheet
- Purpose of License
Transporter licensing serves to protect public health, welfare, and the environment through the review of a firm's
qualifications and competence to transport hazardous wastes. License review includes assessment of an
applicant's insurance coverage, driver training program, and emergency response procedures/equipment.
- MassDEP Unit Responsible for License Review
Bureau of Waste Prevention, Business Compliance Division, Hazardous Waste Transporter Program
One Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
- Who Must Apply
Any firm or individual that wishes to continue to transport hazardous wastes beyond the expiration date of their
- Documentation to Accompany Application
Each application for a license to transport hazardous waste must be accompanied by separate informational
attachments. The required information is described briefly in the application form and in some cases; samples
and/or blank forms for the required information are attached to the application. Applicants are advised to read the
regulations listed to be sure that all the necessary information is included.
- Fees Associated with License
• An application fee of $2,375 due when the application is submitted.
• There is no annual compliance fee.
- License Review Timeline
See: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
- Duration of License
The renewal license is issued for up to five (5) years, provided the applicant remains in compliance with appropriate
laws and regulations.
- What Regulations Apply?
Applicable regulations include, but are not limited to:
• Hazardous Waste Management Regulations, 310 CMR 30.000 (in particular sections 30.010, 30.400, and 30.800)
• Timely Action schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore