1. Instructions: BWP IW 16, 18, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37 doc format of IWW Discharge Application Instructions

  2. Form: BWP IW 16, 18, 26, 27, 35, 36, 37 doc format of Industrial Wastewater Discharge Application
pdf format of Industrial Wastewater Discharge Application  

  3. Transmittal Form & Number for Permit Application & Payment

Permit Fact Sheet

  1. What is the purpose of these permits?

    These permits and plan approvals serve to protect the public health, welfare, and the environment through the control of industrial wastewater discharges to surface waters of the Commonwealth.

    Surface water discharge permits are provided for in 314 CMR 3.00 and 314 CMR 4.00. Authorization to construct and operate a wastewater treatment facility is provided for in 314 CMR 12.00. The plan approval letter that will be sent by MassDEP becomes the authorization to construct a proposed treatment system.

    Legislative authority is stated in MGL Chapter 21, sections 26 to 53.
  2. Who must apply?
    1. These facilities must apply:

      Any facility with a discharge (other than sewage, non-contact cooling water, stormwater, or construction dewatering) requiring a permit in accordance with MGL Chapter 21, sections 27 or 43 and the regulations issued under that law which also is classified by the following Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes:

      1000 - 1399 Metal Mining, Coal Mining, Oil and Gas Exploration
      1474 - 1499 Chemical/Fertilizer Mining, Nonmetallic
      2000 - 3999 Manufacturing
      4231 Maintenance Facilities for Motor Freight Transport
      4581 Airports, Flying Fields and Airport Terminal Services
      4911 - 4939 Electric and Gas Production
      7216 Drycleaning
      7217 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning
      7218 Industrial Laundries
      7384 Photofinishing Laboratories
      7532 - 7539 Automotive Repair and Paint Shops
      7549 Automotive Services
      7819 Motion Picture Developing/Printing/Film Processing
      8062 - 8069 Hospitals
      8071 Medical Laboratories
      8072 Dental Laboratories
      8731 Commercial Physical and Biological Research

      Any facility without remediation discharges and outside the SIC Codes listed above must apply for Office of Watershed Management Permits.
    2. Options:

      Facilities classified above with remediation discharges in accordance with MGL Chapter 21E, are no longer required to obtain an Industrial Wastewater Permit. Applicants may comply under the Massachusetts Contingency Plan, 310 CMR 40.0000.
  3. What other requirements should be considered when applying for these permits?
    1. File for a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit with the US EPA. The EPA discharge permit is not a prerequisite to the submission of an application to MassDEP. However, MassDEP will not begin its technical review of the application until after MassDEP is provided with a draft permit form EPA for the proposed discharge.
    2. Obtain variances if the receiving waters are designated for protection by the Division of Water Pollution Control.
    3. Form 1, required for all surface water discharge applicants, is a state form which is included in this kit. Form 2C, also required for all surface water discharge applicants, is a federal form which must be obtained from the EPA. You should fill out Form 2C and submit a copy of the form with the other required material. Call 617-565-3259 to obtain Form 2C.
    4. All permit applicants must submit a description of any pollution prevention technique that has been implemented or planned by the facility, such as housekeeping, process modification, recycling, substance elimination, substance substitution and reuse.
    Note: Permits of this type may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations, to determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202; 617-727-5830). MassDEP cannot complete technical review of the permit application until the MEPA process has been concluded. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate program offices in Boston and the MEPA Coordinator in the appropriate Regional Office.

    Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.
  4. What is the application fee?

    See Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule pdf format of Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
  5. What is the Primary Permit Location? What is the Reserve Copy Location?

    Primary Permit Location
    Dep't. of Environmental Protection
    1 Winter Street, 5th floor
    Boston, MA 02108

    Reserve Copy Location (for BWP IW 16, 18, 26, 35, 36)**
    Dep't. of Environmental Protection
    Industrial Wastewater Management Program
    __________* Regional Office

    *Find Your Region

    ** There is no reserve copy location for BWP IW 27 and BWP IW 37.

    In addition, please send a photocopy of the Transmittal Form to:

    Industrial Wastewater Management Program
    1 Winter Street
    Boston, MA 02108
  6. Where can I get a copy of the timelines?

    The timelines are available on the MassDEP Website: Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule pdf format of Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule
  7. What is the annual compliance fee?

    Current annual compliance fees can be found at Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule pdf format of Permit Application Timelines and Fees Schedule

    In cases where extraordinary compliance work is required, a higher fee may be developed.

    If you fail to pay the annual compliance fee, your permit could be suspended or revoked.
  8. How long are these permits and approvals in effect?

    Regulation 314 CMR 3.10(8) states "... not to exceed five years". MassDEP may issue a permit for less than five years.
  9. How can I avoid the most common mistakes made in applying for these permits?
    1. Answer all questions on the application form and indicate "N/A" (not applicable) where appropriate.
    2. Make sure application is signed by a legally responsible official.
    3. Make sure a Professional Engineer registered in Massachusetts signs and stamps any plans/sketches submitted with the application.
    4. Submit all required reports and forms with sufficient detail and description.
    5. Submit any necessary "sign-offs" from other agencies prior to the submittal of an application, i.e., MEPA, MDPU, EFSC, or Massachusetts Historical Commission.
    6. Contact the Massachusetts Wastewater Management Section in the Region I Office of the US EPA to ensure compliance with federal requirements.
    7. Submit "Engineering Plans and Report Approval Request".
    8. Submit fee and one copy of the MassDEP Transmittal Form to: Department of Environmental Protection, P.O. Box 4062, Boston, MA 02211.
  10. What are the regulations that apply to these permits? Where can I get copies?

    These regulations include, but are not limited to:
    1. Water Pollution Control Regulations, 314 CMR 3.00, 314 CMR 4.00, 314 CMR 12.00.
    2. Wastewater Treatment Operator Certification Regulations, 257 CMR 2.00.
    3. Timely Action Schedule and Fee Provisions, 310 CMR 4.00.
    These may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore .