A clean, healthy and safe environment is an important Mission for the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP). But MassDEP also recognizes the need to offer a business-friendly environment that allows businesses to locate and expand throughout the Commonwealth.
More than 15 years ago, MassDEP initiated a guarantee that few other states are willing to match: a timely decision on your environmental permit or your money back. Building on past successes, as well as fulfilling the needs of a robust economy, MassDEP has initiated a new and innovative program: Fast Track Permitting.
Fast Track Permitting incorporates a set of sound environmental policies and procedures that promote smart growth and economic development across the Commonwealth. It helps businesses get answers faster while ensuring protection of our natural resources.
Fast Track Projects
Some of the types of Fast Track projects include:
- Transit-oriented development
- Brownfield redevelopment
- Solid waste recycling facilities
- Smart growth projects
How It Works
In order to be authorized for Fast Track, project proposals are submitted to your Regional Director (MassDEP Offices and Locations ). The director will work with the Commissioner's Office of Operations and Programs to develop the necessary project agreement.
Once an agreement is signed, the project applicant can begin working with the MassDEP project manager assigned to the project.
Fast Track guarantees:
- Expedited administrative and technical reviews for all eligible projects.
- Negotiated permit schedules and fees.
- A single point of contact through the entire permitting process.
- Protection of natural resources and promotion of smart growth.
The cost of fast tracking a project is determined by the number and complexity of the permits. This includes review determinations, stakeholder communications and other oversight activities. Project proponents will work with the MassDEP project manager to draft a memorandum of agreement (MOA) outlining the deliverables and a fee schedule.
Please review the Project Requirements .
Projects must meet one or more of the following criteria to be eligible for Fast Track:
- Projects that are consistent with sustainable development principles and promote smart growth;
- Projects determined by the Commissioner to be of significant environmental interest to the Commonwealth; and
- Project with multi-permit complexity.
Fast Track Contacts
Northeast Region, Wilmington
Eric Worrall, Acting Regional Director
Southeast Region, Lakeville
Millie Garcia-Serrano, Acting Regional Director
Western Region, Springfield
Michael Gorski, Regional Director
Central Region, Worcester
MaryJude Pigsley, Regional Director