Ever mindful of the role it plays in promoting smart and sustainable growth across Massachusetts, the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) always strives to issue permits at "the speed of business." In fact, MassDEP was the first agency of its kind in the nation nearly two decades ago - and remains one of the few today - to offer applicants the guarantee of a timely decision or their money back.
In most cases, the MassDEP Regional Office that serves the community where you want to build or expand is the best and most efficient starting point for learning about the environmental permits you might need and making personal connections with the people who will be issuing them. By scheduling a pre-application meeting with regional office staff, you might even discover that small changes in your proposal could eliminate the need for some permits entirely.
There may be times, however, when you want or need additional assistance in navigating the MassDEP permitting process or expediting a decision that is business-critical. That is why, in November 2011, the agency opened its Permitting Assistance and Management Office to provide help when you:
- Are proposing a large, complex, or cutting-edge facility or project that will require permitting coordination among various local, state and federal agencies, or across multiple MassDEP regions.
- Want to take advantage of Fast Track Permitting to accelerate review of your facility or project.
- Need an impartial ombudsman to address questions or concerns you may have about MassDEP permitting procedures, timelines or outcomes.
For additional information about the services provided by the Office, you may
- Check our Frequently Asked Questions
- Call 617-292-5915 or
- E-mail MassDEP.PermitAssistance@massmail.state.ma.us
Ultimately, everyone benefits when you receive the state environmental approval(s) you need in a predictable and timely way: your community and our economy gain new jobs and opportunities; you get a clear road map to environmental compliance and sustainability; and your neighbors continue to enjoy the clean air, clean water and the quality of life that draws so many people to Massachusetts.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.